PDA

View Full Version : a hot .357?

d1wg8r
07-11-2009, 05:14 PM
I got some .357 reloads (140gr,HP, 8grs. of unique). The clerk at the store seemed impressed with the ammo. We all know that ammo is hard to come by-I bought all they would allow(100 rds). Does anyone know how "hot" this ammo is? Where should I look for specs? I am not a reloader, just a casual plinker. I'm gonna use this for home defense. Comments?

kg42
07-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Good load about 1200fps per Alliant's last Reloaders Guide, apparently maximum with their bullets (see the pdf file on their website alliantpowder.com).

This is, of course, assuming that the reloader knew what he was doing and actually did it (selling a maximum load is questionnable).

Most reloaders will advise you not to shoot handloads you haven't put yourself together...

Will the store stand behind that sale if something goes wrong?

kg

versifier
07-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Welcome to The Guide d1wg8r.

That is a fairly hot load, depending on the bullet/case/primer used it is at Max for some, under by a grain or so for others. For it to be sold commercially, the loader has to have the same license to produce it that the big guys need. If not, both loader and shop can get into a lot of expensive trouble. In a Colt, Ruger, or S&W in good shape, there should not be a problem shooting them, unless you have one of the danger signs like very difficult extraction and the revolver does not have extraction problems with factory ammo (sometimes rough chambers will cause the same problem, but even light wadcutter loads will be tough to push out if that is the situation).

I have learned to be very skeptical when store clerks "recommend" something or are "really impressed". Many work for minimum wage and don't know which end of a cartridge to stick in the chamber or the difference between a .30-30 and a .30-06. Others know just enough to be dangerous. Some actually have a clue about different kinds of ammo and might even know something about reloading, and in a small gun shop, that's usually the owner. You would presumably know the situation where you bought it, who to listen to, and who to ignore.

It is definitely not a common thing for remanufactured ammo to list the load beyond bullet design and weight. Usually you only see powder and charge weight with custom ammo. Most commercial loaders won't divulge their "recipes" as they often use whatever powder they can get a deal on in bulk and the powder may be completely different from lot to lot with the charge level set by chrono.

d1wg8r
07-12-2009, 06:04 AM
Thanx!!! The clerk was the son of the owner... he teaches gun safety classes also. The ammo was shot once, and I went back to buy some more today. SOL. They sold all of'em...