PDA

View Full Version : Primer wipe with Taurus 24/7 45ACP

Sensai
06-10-2009, 01:31 PM
:confused:I've recently acquired a Taurus 24/7 Pro DS and have put around 250 rounds through it. I cleaned it before first use and every 50 rounds or so since. It shoots very well, and I've had no failures with it. My concern is that the primers of the fired rounds have a distinct tail on the firing pin indentation. There is no cratering, and the depth looks normal. I know that the Sigs are reported to have this primer wipe as a common trait, but it's the first time that I've experienced it personally.

Is this something that I should be concerned with, or is it just a trait of striker fired pistols?

Does it effect the type of primers that I should use to reload for this pistol?

Thanks for any replies, and I'm sorry for not presenting pictures.

versifier
06-10-2009, 04:14 PM
The only time I would be concerned is if the primers were piercing. I don't think it is necessarily the striker (it doesn't happen on my Glock), but a good strong spring behind it to insure positive ignition.

Sensai
06-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks, versifier. That's what I was hoping to hear. I think that I'll take the slide apart and check the firing pin return spring and check for any burring in the channel. The primers weren't pierced, as a matter of fact, the strike looked very good except for the wipe.

versifier
06-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Just a thought.....
It occurs to me that what you are describing could also be caused by primer setback from a load that is too light. Are the primers proud on the fired cases? (Sticking out above flush with the case head.) If they are flush, never mind. But, if I'm right and they are sticking out a bit, upping the charge just a tad should clear it up. When the firing pin strikes, the primer pushes the case forward and slides part way out of the primer pocket until the powder charge reaches sufficient pressure to push the case back against the bolt face and return the primer to its original position. If the charge is too light, the pressure doesn't build up enough to push the primer all the way back in, and it could easily be smeared by the extraction/ejection process. I see it fairly often with reduced cast bullet rifle loads, and I have seen it in my revolvers when working up very light target loads. With semi autos, I usually try to load in the middle of the charge table to insure proper function, so I don't see it there, but I see no reason why it couldn't happen in your pistol.

Sensai
06-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Good thought, but I don't think that it's the problem here. I just got this 45, so I'm still in the brass acquisition mode and shooting factory ammo. My son "acquired" my 1911, dies and molds. Of course I found out that life just isn't the same without a 45, so I'm rebuilding for that cartridge. I think that this is just a minor thing, but I'll feel better about it once I see the internals of the slide for myself. Thanks again.

kg42
06-11-2009, 02:51 AM
If "tail" is what I think, the striker doesn't retract before the barrel moves down to unlock from the slide.
Striker might be late, barrel or slide early, due to weak springs. But then some guns have that signature... I don't know that model.

kg

Sensai
06-11-2009, 11:16 AM
:-D kg42 that's exactly what was happening.

versifier, I took the slide innards out last night and the firing pin track was full of some kind of grease that had almost solidified. I don't normally go that far when cleaning a gun, but I guess I will on the first cleaning from now on. The squirt of clp that I normally put through the firing pin hole hadn't even budged this stuff, and it had picked up all of the dirt from firing and become almost a solid. I guess that the stronger striker spring had enough power to press through, but the return spring was having a hard time. After a thorough cleaning and reassembly I put 25 rounds through the gun with no more wiping evident on the primers. I will take the slide down again after a few more rounds, just to check, but I think the problem is over.

Thanks again for your help. This is a great forum!

JustSomeGuy
06-20-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm late to this thread but... Although not uncommon in higher pressure calibers with quick cycle times like 40S&W and 9mm using striker fired guns the primer "tail" you are describing is certainly not unusual in 45ACP in the 24/7 pistol as well. Seeing as how you have found some gunk in the striker channel and removed it, it may have eliminated it entirely by now. It is not dangerous as long as you have no penetration which WOULD be unusual. Like KG42 said it is about the time it takes for the striker to retract as the slide moves back. There are many guns that do this and really it is nothing to be concerned about if you still have some signs of it.