PDA

View Full Version : 1st reload success!!!

gvanek
05-23-2009, 05:49 PM
YAHOOOO!!!![smilie=p:

Loaded up my first ever 10mm in my virgin reloading set up...6.9 g Unique. 155 g lead round nose(cast by myself!...Magma Engineering mold) Fired a quick 10 rounds just to be sure they felt right... then loaded up 100 rounds.

I know it sounds childish but, I'm pretty excited about it!!! Startting from wheel weights to loaded cartidge...its cool!!!

I'm hooked.

runfiverun
05-23-2009, 06:16 PM
you feel that trepidation everytime you try something new as you reload.
wait till you start to do cast in your rifles...

Tom W.
05-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Wait until you get your first deer with your handloads.. That's a rush!

versifier
05-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Welcome to the Dark Side. 8) How accurate was the load?

gvanek
05-24-2009, 03:12 AM
Just checked, quickly, to make sure the load felt right and cycled properly in my Glock, which it did. I'll go to the range next week and compare to the factory groups. I'm eager to fire a few rounds...so I can reload again!

RugerSP101
05-28-2009, 05:23 AM
YAHOOOO!!!![smilie=p:

Loaded up my first ever 10mm in my virgin reloading set up...6.9 g Unique. 155 g lead round nose(cast by myself!...Magma Engineering mold) Fired a quick 10 rounds just to be sure they felt right... then loaded up 100 rounds.

I know it sounds childish but, I'm pretty excited about it!!! Startting from wheel weights to loaded cartidge...its cool!!!

I'm hooked.
congrats !
I just started reloading last month and its been a lot of fun. I find myself going shooting just so I can reload anymore :D

armyrat1970
06-03-2009, 12:26 PM
YAHOOOO!!!![smilie=p:

I'm hooked.

What was it Han Solo told Luke Skywalker in their first fire fight when Luke said he got one? I believe it was Great, but don't get cocky kid.
I know you feel great about your first handloads and it seems you did very well. Just don't expect them to always come out that way. I did when I first started and the next bad ones bust my bubble. Don't mean to bust your bubble but how accurate were your loads? Being a new handloader I assume you did not chorongraph the loads? Did you keep records of the COAL? You gave the charge and bullet and alloy. What cases used and primer used? Did you keep records of this?
It is exciting to cast and load your own for the first time and get good results from your efforts. You have to keep data for each of your loads. Any change in componets will make a slight change in the results of the cartridge.
Seems you are off to a good start.

versifier
06-03-2009, 05:56 PM
The better the notes you keep, the more you will learn from them when you reference them down the road. I keep a very detailed loading log and I number each entry. Willy has a good page design you can access through the GL Home Page.

runfiverun
06-04-2009, 01:46 AM
develop a system now or your notes will be like mine, i use a small note book [snitch pad]
and i got about a hundred of 1/3 sized papers all over the place in piles a bunch of notes pinned to the wall and a master load book with the very best loads in it for reference.
i lose a pile of the little notes and there goes 3 months worth of details.
by details i mean the temp of the alloy, the composition, the exact primers and which 4895 i used, the lube,type of filler if any and oal,along with notes on which press i used for the neck sizing and the seating.
plus weather conditions and comments on what to try next.

gvanek
06-09-2009, 07:19 PM
I also loaded up some .45's...cast 225 grain round nose, 5.8 grains Unique. Also, worked well. I loadesd up 12 rounds, tested, then loaded up about 300-400 more.

My cast bullets...in .40 and .45...worked very well. No leading issues in the Para Ordnance, Colt, Sig, or Glock. No feeding issues, either. I haven't checked the acurracy of the loads from a bench, but I can shoot the red out of the bulls eye at 35 ft... my buddy does a bit better. This may not be up to other's standards and I know its not very scientific but, it works for me!

Hey, I've been at this for , like, 3 weeks...?

I have a metal note book(really! the covers are aluminum) that I keep the load data and date info in. Just powder, grains, bullet grains, OAL,...nothing elaborate. My brass is mixed. (is this bad?) Chronograph...no. I'm just a hobbiest. No plans to compete in any IPSC events too soon, though I may down the road. Cockiness is not in my nature...just excited when " a plan comes together". Perhaps I'll keep a little more detail in my notes...just in case.

Thanks for the info and encouragement. I'll let you know how my .40's turn out. May the force be with you.

versifier
06-09-2009, 09:33 PM
No big deal to mix pistol brass for practice or plinking loads. I don't keep track of the number of times loaded with them, just toss them if the necks split when sizing. I do separate revolver cases because the necks get worked and some of them are pretty hot loads. I separate my rifle brass carefully by lot and headstamp. I put all info possible into my loading notes - something might come into question down the road. I also number each batch and write the batch on the cartridge box. If it's a test batch, I can note that number on the targets and not get things confused when I get home, measure targets, and add the data to the notes.

rcguyme
07-01-2009, 05:48 PM
New here i to have not been reloading very long and have learned so much. right now i just load 3 different cases for the 30 carbine.
30 cal 100 grain rn bullets, speer 30 cal 110 gr .308 round sp,Missouri bullet cast bullets.309 115grain RN brinell 18 optimized for the m1 carbine very good round for plinking a little more cleaning do to no jackets but fun never the less yes never jump the gun write every load down no matter what you think you may just need that info later oh great site thanks

armyrat1970
07-16-2009, 11:44 AM
New here i to have not been reloading very long and have learned so much. right now i just load 3 different cases for the 30 carbine.
30 cal 100 grain rn bullets, speer 30 cal 110 gr .308 round sp,Missouri bullet cast bullets.309 115grain RN brinell 18 optimized for the m1 carbine very good round for plinking a little more cleaning do to no jackets but fun never the less yes never jump the gun write every load down no matter what you think you may just need that info later oh great site thanks

Haven't been here in a while but welcome to the forum.

armyrat1970
07-16-2009, 11:55 AM
I also loaded up some .45's...cast 225 grain round nose, 5.8 grains Unique. Also, worked well. I loadesd up 12 rounds, tested, then loaded up about 300-400 more.

My cast bullets...in .40 and .45...worked very well. No leading issues in the Para Ordnance, Colt, Sig, or Glock. No feeding issues, either. I haven't checked the acurracy of the loads from a bench, but I can shoot the red out of the bulls eye at 35 ft... my buddy does a bit better. This may not be up to other's standards and I know its not very scientific but, it works for me!

Hey, I've been at this for , like, 3 weeks...?

I have a metal note book(really! the covers are aluminum) that I keep the load data and date info in. Just powder, grains, bullet grains, OAL,...nothing elaborate. My brass is mixed. (is this bad?) Chronograph...no. I'm just a hobbiest. No plans to compete in any IPSC events too soon, though I may down the road. Cockiness is not in my nature...just excited when " a plan comes together". Perhaps I'll keep a little more detail in my notes...just in case.

Thanks for the info and encouragement. I'll let you know how my .40's turn out. May the force be with you.

Mixed brass for plinking?, no problem. No chrony?, no problem either. Just keep watching for over pressure signs in your loads. Also watch for low pressure signs. If you are going to really get serious about handloading I would suggest you get a good chrony though. If you want your best accurate loads you will want to sort your brass by headstamp and trim. If you really want accurate loads you will want to weigh every case after trimming. Weigh and measure every bullet and get your charges as close as possible to cut down on your ES. Seems you're own your way. Enjoy and be safe. Ask all the questons you feel you need to and don't ever think there is a stupid question.