PDA

View Full Version : Is this military brass?

DeanoBeanCounter
05-17-2009, 06:37 PM
I have a bunch of range brass that I can't identify. They appear to be exactly the same size as 30-06. The head stamp has "K" then "A" then "7" then "2", all a quarter turn around the head. Crimps had to be removed. Does anybody know if it is safe to assume that these are 30-06?
Thanks
Dean
:?:

versifier
05-17-2009, 07:47 PM
It sounds like South Korean surplus. A caliper will tell you.

runfiverun
05-17-2009, 11:02 PM
sounds like what versifier said, they were a pretty good buy at the time.
nothing special, but as good as factory [us] and the price was right.
watch your case volumn's with them.

DeanoBeanCounter
05-18-2009, 02:44 AM
:oops: Wellllll....., I asked a little to quick. On one of the Yahoo groups somebody asked about head stamps and was given this web sight:

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm

I looked up mine and found this:

KA Pusan Government Arsenal, Pusan, Republic of Korea 2

And this:

Punnett, Chris, .30-06, CTG Publishing, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, 1997

So I guess they are .30-06. Thanks for your input, you're always a help.
Dean
[smilie=s:

armyrat1970
06-03-2009, 11:42 AM
:oops: Wellllll....., I asked a little to quick. On one of the Yahoo groups somebody asked about head stamps and was given this web sight:

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm

I looked up mine and found this:

KA Pusan Government Arsenal, Pusan, Republic of Korea 2

And this:

Punnett, Chris, .30-06, CTG Publishing, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, 1997

So I guess they are .30-06. Thanks for your input, you're always a help.
Dean
[smilie=s:

Dean there is a manual that is really helpful for determining what cases you have. The Lee Modern Reloading Second Edition. They give diagrams of the actual case and deminsions and you can set the case on the page for the given cartridge and find out just exactually what it is. Every case I have tried so far works with the pictures and diagrams. The diagrams are to SAMMI specs. I have not found one so far that is wrong. Easy to tell one case from another.

higgins
06-07-2009, 05:40 PM
So it might be a good idea to wash them out with hot soapy water before you reload them. Not so much to keep the brass from corroding from within, but to keep any small amounts corrosive residue from being blown out into your rifle's bore.

BadWaterBill
07-06-2009, 09:52 AM
There was quite a discussion about 2 years ago somewhere on cast boolits about NOT shooting KA- 73 OR 72 ammo as the powder has deteriorated into a SOLID green mass just below the neck. I know as I almost destroyed a new Weatherby. Break it down as the jacketed projectiles are very consistent. Less than .1 gr variation in over 350 of mine. The primers are corrosive so junk them. There were 3 different powders used with varying weights. If there is no green junk in the shells you will have some nice brass after you break it down. I would NEVER shoot it as is.