PDA

View Full Version : Unique vs. Bullseye for 10mm

gvanek
05-13-2009, 07:49 PM
I wanted to use Unique for my .45 and 10mm, and possible a .40 in the future. There are recipes for all of these cartridges. BUT, I can't find any Unique!!! Same for Blue Dot...none to be found. I can get Bullseye(I think) but, no listed recipes for the 10mm. However, there is a recipe for the .40 using Bullseye. The obvious question is: Can I use this formula as a starting point for the 10mm?

...and yes, I am a beginner.[smilie=s:

runfiverun
05-13-2009, 11:05 PM
the 10 is basically a 40 magnum but since it was first i guess the 40 is the 10mm special.
bullseye is a tad fast for my tastes.
if i couldn't find a recipe for a powder[ and i had it] i would just call the powder maker ALLIANT in this case, and ask them.
you get to talk to an actual individual.
there may be a reason why they don't show it. maybe not.

Jim_Fleming
05-15-2009, 02:36 AM
From what I'm hearing from the Gun Dealers in my area, all components including primers and gun powders are getting scarce...

I too love/like Unique powder, it's versatile and effective. But I couldn't get Unique from www.PotterCountyOutfitters.com they were simply out of it, and don't know when or if they're going to get more... Instead I settled for something pretty close. Herco... I bought every kernal they had. 6lbs.

Folks are stocking up... Let's hope it's not for the hard times we're all deathly afraid of... enough of that... that's off topic...

Take Care,

Jim

gvanek
05-15-2009, 04:35 PM
I lucked out. Went to the local shop to buy the Bullseye they were holding for me just as a shipment arrived. Bought 4 lbs of Unique(smallest container available).

I'm good for a while.

runfiverun
05-15-2009, 06:37 PM
they had larger like 8 lb and 12 lb ?
unique was about the hardest powder to get for quite a while.
now it's rifle stuff.

gvanek
05-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Only 4's. nothing else larger or smaller.(i would have bought a 1 pounder...)

My local favorite dealer says the powder keeps trickling in(sorry). Shouldn't really be a problem...unlike primers.

However, he did say they can't get ANY .380 ammo(glad I don't have one)...

Graywolf41
05-15-2009, 06:53 PM
I wanted to use Unique for my .45 and 10mm, and possible a .40 in the future. There are recipes for all of these cartridges. BUT, I can't find any Unique!!! Same for Blue Dot...none to be found. I can get Bullseye(I think) but, no listed recipes for the 10mm. However, there is a recipe for the .40 using Bullseye. The obvious question is: Can I use this formula as a starting point for the 10mm?

...and yes, I am a beginner.[smilie=s:

Don't know why you can't find any data. If you have an up to date manual it should have them. The difficulty lays in pressure and case capicity. Check around for the latest manual and see if I'm right. I think I am.

gvanek
05-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Graywolf, I did find the data...received the Lee second edition book this Wednesday afternoon. You are right, data seems to be complete. Previously, I was relying on on-line info from Allian't web site.

Thanks.

Jim_Fleming
05-18-2009, 01:08 AM
Heh! I'm jealous! Actually, I'm envious... It would've been nice to get Unique instead of the Herco, but there's nothing wrong with the Herco I bought... Tad slower and higher velocities... that's not bad in magnum loads fo' sho'!

Jim

I lucked out. Went to the local shop to buy the Bullseye they were holding for me just as a shipment arrived. Bought 4 lbs of Unique(smallest container available).

I'm good for a while.

runfiverun
05-19-2009, 01:24 AM
herco is my powder of choice in the 357 magnum it's hard to get it wrong.
if i had more than 6 lbs of it i might be using it in other cals too.
but right now i am using what i got, like 800-x inthe 44,unique in the 45 acp etc i might re-standardize on a powder once all of the ends are gone.

Jim_Fleming
05-19-2009, 02:43 AM
That's exactly why I was pretending to whine about not being able to get Unique... I chose it a long time ago as a standard powder for all of my handgun loads. I know that WW-748 (is that the correct name/number) is the preferred choice, if you wanted a HUGE [smilie=w: FIREBALL and max loads in magnums, etc... I realized some time ago it's better to hit your target more often with a lighter, yet still plenty hot load, more often than not, than it is to only hit it once with a fireball in my bedazzled eyeballs... :roll:

R5R thank you, sincerely, for the most excellent advice... :)

Jim

herco is my powder of choice in the 357 magnum it's hard to get it wrong.
if i had more than 6 lbs of it i might be using it in other cals too.
but right now i am using what i got, like 800-x inthe 44,unique in the 45 acp etc i might re-standardize on a powder once all of the ends are gone.

runfiverun
05-19-2009, 04:02 PM
jim i think the number you are looking for is 296.
748 is a medium rate rifle powder.
i tend to shoot a lot of what i call 3/4 loads with powders like herco unique and 2400
they seem to be the best balance of power and accuracy anyways especially with cast boolits.

gvanek
05-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Stopped in the store yesterday...No Unique...No 2400...plenty of Bullseye...and some Herco.

Jim_Fleming
05-20-2009, 01:27 AM
YUP!!! You're right... I was merely using old knowledge... and that goes to show anyone that's lurking that no reloader can rely on his memory...

296 is a BIG FLASH magnum powder...

I remember now... Thanks R5R...

Jim