PDA

View Full Version : Loading LaserCast for 4 calibers?

Rauschbo
05-12-2009, 11:43 AM
I have a Model 1886 ExtraLite, and 500 rounds of 300-gr. LaserCast lead boolits....I've never loaded lead bullets before, and am a bit worried about leading up the barrel - I am using Reloder7 for the 405-gr. jacketed rounds, and am pretty happy with those loads and that powder. If anyone has any pet loads, or tip on loading lead in this weapon - I like the loads to be stiff enough to take Elk Hunting (yes, in caps!), so if anyone could get me started with some load data, I would certainly appreciate it!

I am also going to be loading .41 mag (215-gr. SWC, Model 57), .44 mag (240-gr. RN FP, SRH), and .45ACP (200-gr. RN, Para's) - loads for these, again, on the functional - e.g. higher-energy- side - would be greatly appreciated!

Again, I am worried about leading; None of these are GC boolits, and I've no information on how hard they are -

Thx / Rauschbo

runfiverun
05-12-2009, 03:21 PM
lazercast are about 4 times harder than necessary for proper cast bullets.
their lube sucks too.
now however if they happen to fit your gun they shoot fine.
you can just contact lazercast or oregontrail bullets for reloading data.
the 41,44,and 45 can be loaded to jacketed data.

versifier
05-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Size is more critical, and softer is better. Slug the bore to find your groove diameter, and measure the slug with a mic, not a caliper - you need a very accurate measurement. I do not know what size their rifle bullets are, but I do know that their handgun bullets are usually much too hard. Undersize + too hard = leading. The harder bullets won't obturate as well to fill the grooves and you get gas cutting, which can cause both leading and destabilization resulting in poor accuracy. If they bullets are properly sized (.002-.003" over groove diameter), they will work just fine regardless of the alloy used.

Many will tell you that you don't need a GC bullet to hunt with a .45-70, and millions of dead buffalo would be in full agreement. When you drill a half inch hole through the boiler room, it doesn't matter if the bullet is cast or jacketed, what you hit is going down.