PDA

View Full Version : reloading remington 223

newloader
05-04-2009, 01:49 AM
i have an AR15 Bushmaster Izzy 1-9 turn 16 inch barel. using accurate 2230 powder with remington 6 1/2 primers 55GR FMJ. can someone tell me if i have the right primers and how many grains of powder to load?

runfiverun
05-04-2009, 03:23 AM
you didn't say what cases you are using. but i would start by looking at accurates site.
in semi's i use mainly cci's but things being what theyare you should be okay with the rem's

newloader
05-05-2009, 01:53 AM
thanks for replying, i have been to accurates site, they are reloading NRA cases? the data calls for Remington 7 primers. i am using 6 1/2 Remington primers. as i am new i do not know what the difference is and i am trying to be cautious and safe. also I don't want to destroy my Bushmaster AR 15 Izzy. apparently there are many different ways to load the same ammo. I guess i will load a few rounds and fire them to see what happens. also, should i size all of my cases to the same length, or is anywhere between the recommended 1.60 to 1.50 lengths OK? no one Says size all to one length...?????

runfiverun
05-05-2009, 05:51 PM
sizing is squeezing them back down to size so they will fit when being chambered.
the lengths are trim to lengths.
another whole operation, and one you will need to become familiar with,especially using a semi-auto.
you do have a caliper? if so measure about 20 cases out. that are about the same length [under max length]
load them and shoot them then re-size them and measure them again.
the different numbers in primers refers to the amount of fire they put out when fired.
or a brisance level.
magnum primers either put out a hotter or longer flame.
as do the different numbered primers [why some guys try different primers in their loads]

armyrat1970
05-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Get yourself a good handloading manual like the Lees Modern Second Edition and read it from the front to the back first. Before looking up any data about different powder charges and such. It will give you a better understanding of handloading techniques and practices. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to handload but you have to follow safe techniques and practices.