PDA

View Full Version : finger nail polish?may sound dumb, but

rjc
04-20-2009, 09:24 PM
I had run into a small problem with a long throat on a 308 H&R rifle, the problem was to get close to where it needed or i thought it needed to be the bullet was not seated very far into the case so i got to thinking, it just needs a little help with grabbing or a little extra help anyways, so i tried a little finger nail polish,red nail polish, it worked great gave it a little tack in the case mouth, i would just run a small bead just above the boat tail and seat the bullet within a few seconds and it holds great, no pressure problems and shoots 3/4" groups with ease, i know some are going to think this sounds crazy but it does work, with no problems [SO FAR] and i have run quiet a few rounds this way,has anyone ever tried anything this stupid?that worked.if a person crimps a bullet with a canalure what would be the problem doing this to a bullet that has no canalure.any thoughts?

runfiverun
04-21-2009, 01:28 AM
old match ammo had a sealant in the case neck it helped to keep the pressures in a zone before the seal broke and released the bullet.
you could also try to put a cannelure in the spot you wanted it.
or go to a heavier /longer bullet.
but if you are comfortable with it i really dont see a problem as long as you are doing it in a consistent way and it is part of your load work up.
you could also try sizing without the expander button to gain more neck tension.
or turn down your expander button to a smaller size.

Sensai
05-05-2009, 07:30 PM
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!!