PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks...Yes or No?

oldpartsman
04-10-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm casting my own bullets from WW. Mostly for .357 and .44 mag. My reloading manual says that under 1400 fps that checks aren't really needed. It also states that liquid alox will take care of most leading problems and in fact states that there's NO leading problem if it's used. I'd like to hear from you veterans on the subject. At $35 / 1000 it seems pricey to have to use checks. I'm thinking of using Titegroup and Greendot with 158gr for .357 and Greendot for 310gr 44 mag. Both loads are well under 1400 fps.Thanks

versifier
04-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Welcome to the Guide oldpartsman.

The only time I use GC's for .357 revolver loads anymore are for 158HP self defense loads which are at MAX. I do use them for hunting loads in my 10" Contender for 158 and 180gr bullets, but they are going way faster than anything out of a revolver. In fact, I have been shooting mostly plain based tumble lube bullets in .38spec and .357mag for the last few years. I have found that most of the bullets from my GC moulds shoot fine without them, as long as they are sized correctly and the alloy isn't too hard. I don't shoot a .44 anymore, but when I did, it was hot hunting loads only and I did use GC on them. I still have the mould and load the bullets (cast of pure lead) into sabots for muzzle loaders. For lower velocity target and practice loads, I see no reason why you would need GC's.

Liquid Alox is the only lube I use for both rifle and handgun bullets, and I push-through size all my cast bullets with velocities ranging from around 600 to 2700fps and four different alloys, depending on what the bullets are for. I have been using it since Lee first introduced it and found that the combination of LLA and push-through sizing worked so well that I sold my RCBS sizer with heater and several dozen sizing dies. I haven't really missed it. Last year, I shot about 4000 cast bullet rounds, the year before was close to 10,000, so I use quite a bit of it. I buy it by the gallon.

runfiverun
04-11-2009, 05:09 AM
the only g/c boolit mold i have came that way and was the design i wanted so i use it.
it's for my 445 supermag.
i shoot plain based up to 1600 in my 24"bbld lever actions.and other revolvers.
i shoot the g/c design without it in my 44 specials,and another one with light loads in my 41 mag.
there are other factors that come into play with cast other than velocity when deciding on a g/c or not.
with that 310 gr boolit i would look at 2400 bout 19-20 grs should be a good balance.

k. this is probably the first time versifier and i have not agreed in a post but here goes...
i OCCASIONALLY use alox 350 as an additive when making my own lubes.
and it has it's place and if you are using that system and have learned to work with it,its okay.
BUt,and you knew it was coming.
i dont like alox as a lube especially for high power loads,or for the gun games,or serious work.
too messy,smokey for me.
if i see smoke there is a problem,either the lube is burning creating deposits of some sort
[in this case petroleum based]
or lead based problems,caused by lube failure.
whichever system you decide to use learn it, study it, use it, try new stuff, fix the problems, and happy shooting.

and welcome to the forum.