PDA

View Full Version : 150 grain 38 spl Lee ICORE LOAD

Earplug
04-01-2009, 03:55 AM
I have a Lee six cavity 150 grain round nose mold and a four inch S&W M-15 that wants to shoot ICORE competition. I need a power factor of 120. bullet weight X velocity to equal 120 or better. 810+ FPS would do fine.
I have some WW 231, some WST and some Clays.
First thought is to use a near max load of WW 231 of about 4.2 grains.
Has anyone done this on a chronograph? Anyone else shoot ICORE with this mold? and a four inch 38?
I just want to have some fun!

versifier
04-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Welcome to the Guide, Earplug.

Anyone else's chrono data would be of marginal utility to you, most especially if the load were pushing the limit. It might be comfortably under for them and over in yours if you had a faster barrel. Honestly, the only way for you to go is to chrono your own loads out of your pistol. Also, someone else's pet load might just as easily pattern like a shotgun when you try it. I'm sure the others will chime in with some practical recommendations to point you in the right direction, but ultimately, your barrel is going to have its own opinion and to see what will really meet your parameters, you have to have access to a chrono yourself.

runfiverun
04-02-2009, 04:19 AM
i can verify that 4.0 231 only gave me 750 in my 6" rossi and right at 800 in my 6" dan wesson.
in the wesson/rossi with the 357 case and 3.3 of clays the reverse happened.
i would look to a bit slower powder for good velocities and easy recoil.
the wst might give you what you need.
but i bet you are happier with universal clays ,unique, or even herco.
maybe even as slow as 2400.
in target games a push is better then a snap.

Earplug
04-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the reply. I recall trying to make minor PF for USPSA with this gun. I lost my notes on what it was doing. Load then was 158 with 4 grains of 231.