PDA

View Full Version : Cast Lube

Total Safety
03-13-2009, 12:45 AM
Hello everyone
I'm new to cast "boolit" reloading and have a question about bullet lube. I'm using "super hard cast 158 swc .357" bullets and was wondering if I need to lube them. When I purchased them I was not advised to purchase any. There is a blue ring around the top of the bullet that seems like a lubercant. I purchased them from Kings shooting supply in King of Prussia, Pa. The people seemed knowledgable and friendly there. I would be loading light and just shooting for fun.(Like the rest of us)

versifier
03-13-2009, 01:13 AM
Welcome to RLG.

They should be good to go, as long as they are the proper diameter. The hard lubes that commercial casters use aren't anyone's favorites, but they work, mostly. If they've been around the shop forever and the lube is falling out, tumble lubing them wouldn't hurt and may help.

Generally the biggest problems I have with commercially cast bullets is that they are too hard and often undersized, :evil: a perfect recipe for lead fouling, but hard bullets work fine if they're large enough. Measure a few with a mic (not a caliper). If they really are .357" or less, shoot them in a 9mm and don't waste your time with them in a revolver. Usually they are at least .358" if they are 158gr and intended for revolvers. It doesn't make any difference at all what it says on the box, it's what the mic reads that matters.

If the revolver isn't right, no cast will shoot well in it. If the bullets are at least .358, give them a try with mild loads and see what happens. They may work fine. Think positive. Be happy. :-D

But, if you get shotgun patterns and lead buildup in the barrel, :( slug and mic each of the cylinder throats (they are seldom all the same size), the barrel forcing cone, and the bore. They should be at or slightly under groove diameter. If the throats are too small, the bullets get sized down and will not obturate properly in the barrel, but it is an easy fix for a competent gunsmith. The forcing cone shouldn't be much smaller than the groove diameter and causes the same problems if too small, also easily fixed. The bullets should be sized .001-.003" over groove diameter, and softer bullets will obturate much better.

Let us know what happens and good luck.

runfiverun
03-13-2009, 08:42 PM
if you are starting in casting or want to, versifier's post is one you want to be familiar with.
it helps with jacketed too.
how? if you get a 5 nice shot group with a flyer guess what the problem probably is?
or 3 and 2 etc..
the blue stuff is a commercial wax lube it does fine for quite a few applications and i have used it myself, but i do see a difference with a better lube and a proper fitting softer boolit.

Total Safety
03-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys. It sounds like "versifier" is the expert. I'll let you know how I make out. I'm not close to an open range and want to wait until better weather is here. I already weighed and checked the size of the bullets I'm using. They were correct as indicated on the box, but you're right, better safe than sorry. Thanks again for the info.