PDA

View Full Version : Time to start this Thread!

1Shirt
03-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Dollar for dollar, and right out of the box or off the second hand rack for me it is Savage. Not the prettiest, but all of mine shoot better than I can. I shoot Savages and Rugers!
1Shirt1:coffee:

runfiverun
03-03-2009, 03:55 AM
i have a fondness for winchester featherweights. and bubbaized military rifles.
i seem to have a bunch of model 92's real and clones around too.
when i buy a brand new one it is a ruger though.

versifier
03-03-2009, 05:05 AM
My brother bought a new Savage last spring in .22-250 and I am really impressed with it. All of his groups with Fed Factory were at or under MOA. We have barely begun serious testing and already have several loads that will go right about .5MOA. He's in no hurry and wants to try most of the powders and bullets I have in stock at 100 and then take the best out to 200, and out to 400. He knows what my old Rem 788 will do and he figures if we take our time we might be able to equal it. We're almost half way through my powder selections with the first bullet. At this rate my eldest will be retired before we get to 200yards., but it keeps him happy.

Nothing new from the factories really makes me drool anymore, even if I could afford them. I am at the point where I want wildcat or semi-wildcat chamberings, so I just save up for a barrel at a time and build what I want myself. The rest of the time I am checking out cast bullets in all my .30 cal rifles, which will take me a while too, as I have more than a dozen counting the Contender barrels, and a couple dozen different moulds to try in each of them. Like R5R I have a hard time resisting Bubba'd mil rifles. I can usually pick them up for next to nothing or trade for them and then build what I want with the action.

casullman
03-07-2009, 01:52 AM
Savage with accutrigger especially if your a lefty you actually have more than one choice

JJB2
04-08-2009, 01:47 AM
i have yet to own a centerfire rifle but i am looking to get a savage bolt rifle in a common .30 cal. cart soon..... was mostly inclined to get a .308 heavy barrel if i could .......

LIFE IS SHORT.....

jlb300
05-15-2009, 03:44 AM
seems like many are making the choice of the savage theese days. I cant blame anyone there. I bought a savage in November and right out of the box was happy..22-250, Mod.12FV,26in.varmint barrel,floated,accu trig., target crown,out of the box and it didnt cost me an arm and leg. I have a 1 1/4 inch FIVE shot group in 16 mph cross winds @ 300 yds and I killed me a groundhog at 452 last week. 52g.berger on 39g AA4350 .005 off the lands. Never had a winchester come near that.

BadWaterBill
07-06-2009, 10:11 AM
I love the Savage Stevens rifles.I just bought a new 243 bbl for my Stevens 22-250. it took 10 minutes to change out the bbl and headspace it then off to the range.

Only own about 8 0r 9 different bbls. They are much cheaper to buy and store than complete rifles for each cartridge I want to own. The new factory take off bbl cost a whole $75.00. Just a bit less than a Win or Remmy and will out shoot most of them.

kodiak1
07-06-2009, 11:46 PM
1shirt
We are on the same page Savages and Rugers for modern rifles
Sharps for Black Powder.
I have a real stifler for Heavy Barrel Rifles too. In my own little mind they just seem to shoot the best.
It is impressive when you take a new rifle out of the box, scope and bore sight it and this thing at 100 yds is cutting cloverleafs you can cover with a quarter.
Have had a 22-250 Savage do it and a25-06 Ruger do it.

Ken.

airborne556762
08-18-2009, 08:50 PM
I have two Browning Abolt II Composite Stalker (in 300 WSM and 280 Rem calibers) rifles topped with Leupold scopes (a VX-III and a Vari-X III) in Millett rings and bases that are absolute tack drivers in either factory ammo and or my own handloads. Both rifles will shoot 0.5 moa if I do my part and they can shoot better than I can.

I have hunted in 30 different states (from Alaska to the southeast US) and now live in the upper midwest where long range shooting reigns. You have got to have really accurate rilfes or in some cases you will be eating critter tag soup for the winter. I have hunted everything from Alaskan moose, speedgoats, mule deer, whitetails, and all kinds of predators with these rifles.

Works for me!!!!:mrgreen:

Huntbear
08-19-2009, 09:38 PM
I own 2 factory rifles.

Sako TRG-s .338 WM that shoots the lights out.

A Browning BLR Pre-81 .308 that will out shoot a lot of bolt guns, for accuracy. Trigger sucks, but this gun is like an extension of me. Most of the time, shooting deer, I never even remember looking down the scope, I just see the deer fall.

A Remington 760 in .300 Savage, that will still shoot MOA even though it is over 50 years old.

I was ruined on the Savages back when you could get the 110 combo package with a cheap ass scope. Made a great tomato stake, but was the worst shooting POS rifle I have ever owned. Have not owned a Savage since.

Bullshop Junior
11-12-2009, 04:25 AM
Savage rules dude!

DKA
11-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Remington 700 SPS, very accurate out of the box. Have 22 250, 25 06, 7mm 08, 270 and 308 and all are tack drivers.

1Shirt
12-10-2009, 01:02 AM
Like Airborne, I have been fortunate enough live in and hunt a number of states, and found something to shoot in all of them. Have also been fortunate enough to hunt Africa (Numibia), and Tiawan. The factory rifle I used most has been an early Ruger
7x57, with a 3x9 Lupold scope. Has taken 10 head of non dangerous African game from little Springbuck to Zebra and Gemsbuck. The rifle has taken numerous deer and a couple of elk, a pleasure to shoot and carry. If I were to have to replace that rifle, it would be one of the same cal. in a Savage with black stock( only because of the weather issues).
1Shirt!:coffee:

Guesser
12-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Recently traded into a J.C. Higgins Model 51 in 30-06. I remember when they were sold out of the Rears & Sorebutts catalog and always wanted one. FN action, chrome lined High Standard barrel, nicely checkered and figured Walnut stock. Drilled and tapped for receiver sight and scope mounts. Has a cheap scope on it from 30 or more years ago in Weaver mounts. Dismounted the stock for cleaning and evaluation, found the date stamped 4-56; aaahhh!!, so good.
And it shoots extremely well, I definitely got the better of that deal!!!!!!!!!

Tommy Kelly
12-19-2009, 05:41 AM
I just got a new rifle that is a tack driver. It's a new on the scene gun. A marlin xl7 in 270 its got a little savage in in it. with the interchangeable bbl's like savage and the accu triggerstyle trigger. without the super long bolt length of the savages. A super nice little rifle I bought for $325.00 out the door cammo stock a really good looking rifle. I stuck a scope on it and zeroed it in at 25 yds then shot a little group only at 25 yds mind you but a 3 shot group that you would have to open up to put a 30 cal. bullet through

pistolman44
01-16-2010, 05:15 PM
I own 3 factory Savage rifles 223 24" heavy barrel and a SS 7MM WSM. and a 17HRM heavy barrel all have left hand bolts and are very accurate out of the box.