PDA

View Full Version : Speer 160gr spitzer BT?

Toney
11-26-2005, 02:15 AM
Have been shooting the 7mm 130"s. Anybody shoot the 160gr speers at mauser speeds? I can set a 130gr bullet on top a case and chamber and not touch. It's shooting 2" with mil trigger but the new barrel should do better

C1PNR
12-04-2005, 03:32 AM
The only 7mm 160 Spitzers I've shot were some FLGC (brand escapes me just now) that my friend loaded for his 7 Rem Mag and I used in mine.

VERY good results on paper, BTW, but never tried in 7mm Mauser, or on game for that matter.

Only had 50 to start with and they are LONG gone. I probably will try that load again, though.

Bullshop Junior
12-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Have been shooting the 7mm 130"s. Anybody shoot the 160gr speers at mauser speeds? I can set a 130gr bullet on top a case and chamber and not touch. It's shooting 2" with mil trigger but the new barrel should do better

You should try some cast!!!! We have some bullets at http://www.auctionarms.com/search/auctions.aspx They are on that padge some where!!!! we have 130 auctions and It is hard to find!!
DANIEL/BS JR.
:coffee:

Toney
12-04-2005, 05:27 AM
Hey Dan sent you a pm

d-o-k
12-20-2005, 05:09 AM

If your using a 95 mauser in the 7mm they hve a bloody long throut designed to take a 170gn pill .The 160's work quite well but you have to seat them right out to get the best out of em !the longer the pill the better I've always found in the old 7mm mausers

Dave

versifier
12-21-2005, 12:00 AM
I've yet to meet a Speer bullet that a Sierra or a Hornady for the same price wouldn't outdo in the accuracy department in anything from .22 Hornets up through .458 mags, and unless I needed the performance of a Grand Slam for really big or dangerous game (and even then I'd probably go for a Nosler PAR, a Barnes, or a Swift first), Speers wouldn't be my second or even my fifth choice. I've have bought maybe 50 boxes or so of them in different weights and calibers in the past 30 years for testing out in one rifle or another, handguns, too, and have yet to find even a single firearm in which a Speer shot better. It's not like I haven't given them fair trials or only tried them in one or two finicky guns - I used to make it a point of getting three boxes of bullets in each of two or three weights to test a new rifle, one yellow, one red, and one green. They do look nice, but even Rem C/L's bought in bulk for cheap(er) practice usually have the edge in accuracy, if not performance too. With their lead handgun offerings and rb's for m/l's, I can cast as good or better for accuracy than they swage for pennies on the dollar. While I can no longer justify the cost of them for fruitless experimentation, I do like to use the plastic boxes they came in for sorting and storing cast or smaller quantities of jacketed bullets bought in bulk. Try the Sierra #1920 160gr SBT GameKing or the Hornady IL SPP BT 162gr, they've proved themselves for me in 7-08, 7X57, & 7mag on target and on game over the years. This from my notes is typical: "9/25/97 Rem 700, 160gr 7-08 tests, 3031 35.7gr @ 2500MV est., 5shot 100yd 5group averages: SRA SBT .854", HDY (162) SPP BT 1.067", SPR BT SPT 1.433". Hunting accurate, yes, but there are two better choices right off the bat for the same cost per box. That rifle liked SRA's 140gr SBT's even better, too, .767" (3031 37.8gr @ 2700MV est.) 8-)
You may not get groups like that in an old Mauser, but you should still see a noticable difference like on the order of 2-3" vs. 4-5".

Toney
12-21-2005, 12:21 AM
I'm shooting a rebarreled m48 with one of the "19 3/4 in white barrels" my biggest problem has been shooting really tiny holes in deer. so far i have used the 139 hornady sp & sp bt, 130 speer spt sp, and the 130 speer bt spt the bt is the only one that has done any real damage.

versifier
12-22-2005, 05:15 PM
Are they not expanding? Or too small wound channel?

Toney
12-24-2005, 05:17 PM
No i really think most of these 7mm bullets were made for the rem mag and are just to hard for the mauser

them speer 130gr sp bt have been doing pretty good found fragments in that last deer hit her in the spine. i can live with 2" as long as the bullets work!

versifier
12-24-2005, 10:07 PM
For a fact you don't get any negative comments on bullet performance from what's in the freezer. :lol: Nor, to be fair, about a couple of inches bigger groups. I just feel the most confident using the most accurate bullet of the proper design that I can find. Then I have only myself to blame when I miss!
I think you're right about the 7mm mag and those 160's, though I have never used them on game myself, just tested for accuracy. I don't really see much of any advantage to the heavier ones with respect to deer, anyway. Mostly I and friends shoot the lighter Sierra SBT 140's in 7-08 & 7X57, and 150's in .308 & -06. They shoot flatter, are a little easier on the shoulder, and have expanded well. I don't know about Hdy's customer service, but the Sierra line will tell you the velocity ranges for which each of their bullets are designed to properly expand and you could avoid the ones designed for the mag rounds.