PDA

View Full Version : Cast loads for .357 mag carbine

SciFiJim
02-09-2009, 09:15 AM
I have been looking everywhere for rifle loads for cast .357 mag. Can anyone help me. I would like to use a heavier bullet. 180-185 grain? I will be shooting it with a Marlin 1893 carbine. I am just getting into reloading and any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

versifier
02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
It might not be easy finding a mould in that weight range. Most of the available ones are for much lighter bullets. They are out there, but it will take some patience to get your hands on one. Try Ranch Dog (a link is at the bottom of the Cast Boolits Forum page).

As for data, you can use jacketed data with handgun cartridges, even if they will be fired in rifles. Many manuals list separate loads for them, though. Get yourself copies of the Sierra Manual and Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Pressures will be lower, velocities higher than jacketed of the same weight. I would be using a Gas Check bullet, too.

If you want to shoot cast, you need to start by slugging your barrel to get your groove diameter. Measure the slug with a MIC, not a caliper. (Calipers are just not accurate enough to give you the data you need to do it right.) Then size the bullet .002-.003" above groove diameter.

Be aware that if you are contemplating using commercially cast bullets to "save" time or money, you will probably do neither. If the bullet is too small and too hard (most commercially cast offereings are) you are going to be scrubbing a LOT of lead out of your barrel. You will be hard put to find anything with a gas check, and you will have no choice about the lube - a crucial factor as a different lube is needed for use in rifles (higher pressures and velocities) and most are barely adequate for handguns. That is why many of us have taken up casting, too.

BTW, ALL copper fouling has to be removed from the barrel prior to shooting cast through it, too. Sweets is a good copper solvent.

Tom W.
02-09-2009, 08:07 PM
If you can find an RCBS cast bullet manual you will find some good info... I'm using data from it to shoot a 180 gr cast bullet from my 4" security six and am well pleased.
Pm me with your e-mail and I'll try to send you a few pages that were sent to me...

Black Jaque Janaviac
02-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Versifier gives good information, I would disagree that those things are "musts". Plenty of cast bullet shooters get their start without slugging the bore or removing all the copper fouling. Not that this is poor advice - I've usually seen it given in the context of problem solving - not beginners advice.

RCBS makes a 180 grain mold. However it has a long nose. I believe it was intended for Thompson/Center sillouhette shooting. The lever actions are limited in the OAL. Too long and they'll jam the action, too short and they'll jam the action.

My recommendation for the beginner is to go right down the middle road. I believe 158 grain bullets are the standard for .357 mags. If you go that route there are zillions of molds, recipes, and such to suit you.

If you're set on a 180 grain bullet, any of the pistol mag powders would do well. Alliant 2400, Hodgon 110, Winchester 296, Hodgdon Lil' Gun, Accurate #9.

Personally, I don't have a 180 grain mold I use 158s in my Rossi '92s. I regularly switch back and forth from jacketed to cast without batting an eye.