PDA

View Full Version : winchester model 70 laredo classic

rjc
02-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I bought this rifle about 6 years ago and have shot nothing but factory ammo in it, it seems to hold pretty tight groups[ for me anyways]. is it known as a good shooting rifle ?,i love the way it shoots ,its has the bull barrel and heavy stock i could shoot this thing all day and still not feel any discomfort,was just wondering about its track record for i have not found much info on this rifle,cal is 7mm mag.thanks for any info on this rifle.

M700P
02-18-2009, 01:05 PM
rjc,

The Winchester model 70 is a wonderful rifle especially in 7mm. Winchester discontinued the model 70 a few years back and just reintroduced it back in to production with some added features like trigger upgrade. A friend of mine has the same as you have but it's 25 years old and he has over 4000 rounds threw it and still as accurate as ever. He hunts Africa / Alaska with it 2 times a years. He hand loads all his own ammo for it and has it zeroed @ 245 yards with tremendous accuracy. I would be willing to bet if you did the same you would be even happier with the rifle's performance then you already are. His load is Norma brass / 68 gr H4831 / 150 gr Scirocco II seated .020 off the lands with WLRM for ignition. Velocity around 2960 fps. His is not a bull barrel!

This rifle has a great track record and has been around longer than most. I'm currently waiting on a new Browning but had considered the model 70 as a second or third choice. If you hand load you should then you could really see what it's potential is.

M700P

rjc
03-20-2009, 01:05 PM
thanks,M700P