PDA

View Full Version : reading a guns magazine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bullshop Junior
11-22-2005, 04:30 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was looking for a 223 load in a gun magazine and saw this. A man was just getting home one day, and was settling down for a nap when the phone rang. This was no ordinary phone call. This was a phone call from a local reloader. The man came over and showed a ruger #1 and the action was frozen so tight from over done hand loads that the gun was worthless. As the two men talked the one learned that this was not the first time that this had happened. The week before the same man completely destoyed a thompson center with the same ammo!!!!!! The next day he got a phone call for the same reason, a man blew up a marlin 444 with a 155,000 psi load!!!!!!!!!! the reason was because both people were supposet to use alliant's reloader #7 and used accurate #7 now in the case of the 444 the front end of the gun was blown off of the the receiver. I have pictures of the 444 if you want me to post them.
DANIEL/BS JR.
:coffee:

Toney
11-22-2005, 06:03 AM
Some people never learn always keep checking everything even when your sure check it again, caught myself a couple of times

read a neat thread the other day about blowing up a jap i'll try and find it agian

Bullshop Junior
11-22-2005, 06:14 AM
I could not believe that that one guy used the same loads in two different guns! I always measure the powder charge before I start loading.
DANIEL/BS JR.

454shooter
11-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Hi Daniel and Toney,
It goes to show,double check and recheck.
And then, re-check the powder label again, against the manual.
Check that charge frequently. Use loading blocks. Visually check that charge
in every case.
Reloading can get scary at times.
When set up, check that powder charge, and the manual again.
It's like looking for something.It's right in front of you,and you don't see it.
Have done the same thing,too.Picked up the wrong powder.Checked the manual.Re-read the label.Not the powder I should have been using.Got a little miffed at myself for not paying attention.Back inside I go.This time,I read the label.
I look at it this way; it only takes milliseconds to get injured.It takes days to heal.Sometimes, months of healing.
Best to do, is take your time working up the loads.This is not a speed test.
This is for safety # 1.I don't care to go or be in a hospital (or a morgue) as
a guest.
I do use a Lee Progressive 1000. I do like it. But with what happened several years ago,I find that progressives do have some drawbacks.
The powder charges weren't dropped. The hopper was full, or nearly full.
Went on blind faith of all the rounds.Some didn't work in the mountains.
They went "pop",instead of a "kaboom". Waited, opened the cylinder.Primers
did go off.Looked at the bullets. Barely moved.
Separated the rounds from the ones I knew had powder.Stripped down the rounds.Several had no powder.Not good if a tense moment like a bear attack,
should happen. This is the reason why I use loading blocks. And if using a fast burning powder,check for double charges.IF in doubt,dump the powder back into the hopper.And do it again.
When I do 44 mag rounds,I de-cap,size, and bell the cases.Progressives do help here.Especially doing 400 cases at a time.Then, the RCBS "RS" does the re-priming.I do have the RCBS strip loader.Still, one case at a time is done regardless of the "RS" or strip primer loader tool.
Then,the loading bolcks.Check the powder that will be used.Weigh powder.
Check every powder charge for every 10-15 cases.
Do all the first 100-150 cases first.Next, hand start the bullets on the cases.
Here is where you can again see the powder charges,before the bullet is started in the case mouth.Change dies to the seater/crimping die.Each ready case is fed to the Lee 1000, by hand.Mostly seat the bullet first, then, run them through again for the final crimp.Most of the time, no crinkled cases.
Crinkled cases do happen,though.
Then repeat for the next 100-150 cases.
With the RCBS ChargeMaster Combo,every charge is weighed.This is probably the best investment I've made in a long time.With the hopper full, punch in the grains,hit "dispense". The scale tells when to shut off.
Or, you can use the scales separately.Electronic scales are nice.But, not ready to get rid of the manual scales just yet.
Been a long winded approach to check/re-check, and re-read labels.
This IS our responsibility to ourselves as well as others.
I'll get off the soap box.
Thank you.

Bullshop Junior
11-23-2005, 05:48 AM
Well I have to say that I have done stupid things too. At one time in my life I had a little sping field armery 22hornet/410 over under. this gun did not have auto shell ejecters, and you had to pull the shells out of the chamber, and alot of the time the shells stuck in the chamber.

Now with this gun to save money I would shoot pellet with just the primer.

now this worked well for just plinking and shooting at the target. one day I was out shooting at the steel rail road peces that we used for steel plates and the pellets made a good whack when they hit. well I was out there shooting pop........whack........pop...........whack....... .....pop............whack............pop.......... ........whack...............pop...............pop. .............pop.............pop.............pop.. .............pop.............pop............pop... .................pop...............pop............ ......pop.............BOOM................WHACK... ............pop...........pop. do you see that boom? that was becouse I was starting to get curious and shot a 410 slug. well it went on pop.........pop............pop............pop..... ......pop.......pop...........and that time when I egected the shell I knew what was wroung and had to get it fixed......now!!!!! that shell ejected 10feet out of the gun!!!!!!!

what happened was one of the primers was a little weak and the pellet got stuck in the barrel and that 18inch barrel was completly jamed for the hole 18inch and on that last shell got the gas so it could not get out and when the gun opened that was the chance that it had to get out.
DANIEL/BS JR.

d-o-k
12-18-2005, 05:31 AM
I'd love to say it never ceases to amaze me on how careless some reloaders can be ! Then you hear of somebody who does something wose than you've ever heard before ! I met a chap on the Range once who asked me about were he could pick up a lee loader for a .38spl? I asked him why he wanted to go back a step in reloading as I presumed he owned a Press ! His reply still haunts me !

His methord of reloading was to deprime with a nail! Reseat the new Primer with a set of Multigrips ! Charging the powder was done with a case that had been cut off to the level of a factory load ! Then just fill the cut off case with powder (I never asked what powder as I was horrified at this point :shock: ) Seating the Bullet was donewith the multigrips !
Sad part was he was not a New chum & had been shooting for years !It ws by some mirical he had'nt blown his gun up & injured himself & anybody near him.He then got quite upset when I told him that he was unsafe & what to do about it !

Dave

versifier
12-18-2005, 05:24 PM
BSJR, always glad to have a few photos of blown up guns to make my Hunter Ed students think a little more about safety. :shock: Especially useful are shots of bananna peeled barrels from obstructions.
About the only thing we can do about really stupid people is to hope that their stupidity removes them from the gene pool before they have children, because, unfortunately, it doesn't take any smarts to get someone pregnant, either.... :rolleyes:

Bullshop Junior
12-19-2005, 03:21 AM
Versifier,
Does that mean that you want me to try to post photos?:?
DANIEL/BS JR.

versifier
12-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Yes, please!:D

Bullshop Junior
12-30-2005, 04:56 AM
versifier,
Ok I will try.
DANIEL/BS JR.

Toney
12-30-2005, 05:58 PM
It's easy Dan