PDA

View Full Version : Single shots

454shooter
11-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Ok, I've been forgetting about a Thompson Contender.
New frame,used 44 mag barrel. Don't hardly ever shoot this one.

Toney
11-19-2005, 08:26 PM
How does it shoot? I've been wanting a rifle in 357mag been reading alot no the handy's at gray beards I have'nt shot a 44mag yet WANT TO!!!

454shooter
11-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Been slacking off the "Fall cleaning".
The Thompson Contender,haven't really checked it for accuracy.
There's a plastic plate, held on with 3 wood screws, that broke.Got cut by
the plastic, when it broke off in recoil.Haven't shot it again.
Bought it to use it as versitility:10,14,16,18" barrels.Rifle stocks. And a multitude of calibers.1 frame,change barrel, stock/grip, and a whole "new"
gun.
The prices of the barrels keeps me from buying more.
Bob Milek is the one that convinced me to buy one.Read many articles from him.
For the 44 mag,it does have a lot more recoil than a 357 magnum.
If you stick with the 44 magnum,it will serve you well.For starters, I'd use 44 Special.Then,have someone alternate the 44 Specials, and 44 magnums.
You will know the difference.This is how I got started with the 357 magnum.
After this, went to a 44 magnum. When I sold that 357,after 13 years,I haven't looked back.
Some people can't get used to a 44 mag.Sure, there's recoil.As JD Jones says
"When you move up to bigger calibers (and bullets),yeah, there's recoil."
"The bigger it is, the more recoil.".
The recoil from a Freedom Arms 454,is about twice than the 44 mag.And yes, I really did shoot my 454,full power loads with one hand.
3 guys at the range watched me do it.So did the range master.
guess,I'll do the "why I did shoot it with one hand".
Ok,last year in May, we were installing the merry go round belts in the pitter room.Need about 3 people to help out.
Was on top of the conveyor,making sure of the belt feeding correctly.
The belts can roll up or down while feeding.This one fed on top of the fruit guide.Should be under.Or the machine don't get fed fruit.
I pushed the belt over to get it under.Felt a "crunching" of my right wrist.
Then pain.Never seen a doctor about it.
We got the belts installed correctly.
Would get pain sometimes.
OK, fast forward.After the season.
October.Laid off.Get ready for deer season.
At the range, firing the 44 mag and 454 Casull.Thought about my wrist.
And, let's see if my wrist can take it. The 3 guys there to my left.Told them
"This will be the only time you'll see someone shoot a 454 Casull, with one hand." Fired all 5 shots,one hand.Range master was watching.Asked me "Are you supposed to use 2 hands ?" I said "Yes". Then told him about what happened in May. He then said "You'll might get some swelling or pain.Use a
heating pad when you get home."
Didn't loose my grip.And loosing the gun.
When I got home, no pain or swelling.Nothing.
There is my story of the 454 one hand shooting.Sure don't advise it.This 454
and the 44 mags are much better shot with 2 hands.It is for recoil control,
and most important, accuracy.
Well, got to get the laundry done.
See y'all.

454shooter
11-22-2005, 08:42 PM
The plastic plate with the three screws, is on the bottom of the grip.
And, this is where the screw/bolt, that allows you to change from a handgun into a rifle/carbine.
Wanted to clarify that.So you won't be scratching you head when reading. :confused:

versifier
12-14-2005, 04:26 AM
My Contender is my favorite handgun. I've had a dozen or more different barrels over the years but have come down to three at present: .22lr match, .30carb, and .357mag, all 10" with the factory sights. It's fitted out with Pachmyer Gripper and forend. Interestingly, the most accurate barrel is the .30carb, and I've been having a lot of fun this year trying out dozens of factory and cast bullets to see what it likes best. I want to get a good small game load that will expand at these modest velocities, but the range is snowed in now and the shop has no heat! Back to it in the spring, besides, partridge (ruffed grouse to you non-New Englanders) season is still open and they'll keep me busy for a few more weeks!

uncle guns
12-26-2005, 01:09 AM
I have been lusting after an encore in 30-06 for bout a year now, plus I will want a .44mag bbl as well, think I will spend my bonus check on one in Feb.

Regards U.G.[smilie=s:

versifier
12-26-2005, 09:27 PM
I've shot the Encore, liked it, and appreciated the extra weight. All the higher pressure chamberings are a big plus, too. The Contender has a bit of a sting to it touching off full power loads in .44mag, .45Colt and .30-30. The new Contenders have the excellent feature of not having to break the action to recock. I'm not going out of my way to get a new Encore, but if one happened to follow me home, it sure wouldn't have to sleep in the garage! :grin:

wheelgun
07-31-2006, 08:59 PM
I have two frames and 18 barrels for my Contender.This is a small collection but it covers everything I need.

BluesBear
08-22-2006, 05:26 AM
My Contender too is one of my favorite guns.

It forces me to slow down and concentrate on accuracy.
The longer barrels and corrosponding longer sight plane makes sighting easier.
And of course that impeccable trigger touch. Can't really call it a trigger pull since you don't pull it. You just touch it.