Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranch Dog Bullet Molds

I bought one of his 30 cal molds, but have yet to take the finished product to the range. I loaded a few for my .308, the others to fire form my '06 a.i.
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

Bama, Try 20-22 gr of 2400 behind that blt with either Lee Mule snot or LARS red.
    Mine shoots best at 20.5 out of a fairly new Stevens 308. I size to .310.
    1Shirt!

The ones that I have ready have a gas check and were dipped as Ranch dog's website showed. I not too long ago bought 10 sticks of Lars Red, and hand lubed some other Lee bullets that I had previously cast. I really like the Lars Carnauba red, and when I run my sizer empty, that will be all that I'll put into it. A great product at a great price!
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

You've got me drooling boys. I can't wait til the next load of them comes in this summer. Then I'll have to check them out in all my .30cal rifles. That might take quite a while, but it will keep me out of trouble. I don't think it will work very well in the 7.5Swiss with that wide meplat - it likes bullets with pointier noses - but we'll see.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Versifier, Shot 20 of them yesterday in my K-31 7.5x55 sized .310 over 20 gr. of 2400. Seated into the lands, and they are a bit deep, but not a bad looking load.
    Shot into under 2" at 100.
    1Shirt!

I guess I'd better save up to get more than one mould then.
    "Stand your ground.

Now if only the Dog had time to work on HP for some of his molds. Know he is considering the 457. Would sure like an HP in 429, and 359. Maybe in time!
    1Shirt!

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    Now if only the Dog had time to work on HP for some of his molds. Know he is considering the 457. Would sure like an HP in 429, and 359. Maybe in time!
    1Shirt!
    And .477!

John

UPDATE

Sadly, Ranch Dog is no longer retailing his moulds and has closed his website. His moulds are however still available occasionally in the "classified" section at Cast Boolits and via group buys on that site. You will have to check both sections regularly to see what's offered.

I think he would tell you himself that for rifle hunting bullets there is no need at all for a HP design as the huge meplat on them works much better on large game. If you really feel they need it, try a Forster HP tool. I believe he's still designing bullets, though, and the specs of most of them are available on CB if you go looking.
    "Stand your ground.

GunLoad Trainee

I have the same mold. I found that in my marlin guide gun, 42 grains of reloder 7 will run 5 boolits through one elongated hole @ 100 yards. Of course this is shooting from a good, solid, rest. Hand held is not nearly as good, even @ 50 yards.