Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: question

GunLoad Trainee

Cool tonne

Quote Originally Posted by d-o-k
    30 Cal I've made my living as a Pro hunter all of my working life In my case it's not have you ever shot a Kangaroo? It's a case of of how many Tonnes a night? (Approx 1.2tonne per night ,best night ever? 2.5 tonne or 60 Roos lightest weight 36kg !) I used to average about 6000 per year !

Dave
    boy thats a lot of tonne 6000 do you have a personal vendetta against the roo or did they just make you mad 6000 what is that about 20 a day arent there regulations on game in australia think you ought to shoot dingos more, sounds like more of a challenge. Did you ever try using a speer sounds like firearms are to easy?

No Mate. That's how I make my living. If a person is caught without the correct Licenses & the legal cal ,acreddited vehicle,or the wrong type of tag on the type of Kangaroo . Ie Red tag for Red's. Grey for western grey (scrubers) Brown for Euros ,Yellow for personal use (issued to property owners for pest control ) There is a $10,000 fine ,for each animal taken ,Confisastion of Vehical &firearms ! Yes I do Trap Poison & shoot Dingos for their bounty ,Foxes for their skins ,Camel for both pet food & human consumption (once again I'm paid by the kg = 2.2 lbs) Over here Species like Pigs ,Goats ,Donkeys ,camel ,rabbits/hares, dingos ,Deer (in most states) are considered feral animals & may be hunted all year round with a normal hunting permit with no quota .

Kangaroos come under the Protected species act & can only be hunted by Pros or by Property owners who may apply for a pest control permit to cull a set number of the Creatures (Much easier to get a Pro in to do it ) These days a PH must pass several exams & courses ,Have a accredited vehicle with a accredited (yearly) stainless steel or galvanised tray& Pay a small sum of $750.00 per year for his license (+ $250.oopa for accreditation )
    I'm afraid after over thirty years as a PH I don't like or dislike what ever I'm shooting it's just a job to me ! I once discribed it as working in a mobil slaughter house ! Why do I do it ? Cause it's the only job I have ever done (apart from a stint in the army ) Plus the Money is great & I'm my own boss ! The down side is that I have high running costs ,Live out of my swag in all weather ,cook on a open fire & Fight a constant battle with illegal shooters & Tree huggers that have never left the confines of a city !

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

GunLoad Trainee

WELL THAT SOUNDS LIKE A FUN JOB. Wish I had that one, I enjoy hunting from time to time, going boar hunting a few from now, wonder how they are going to like my 300 ultra magnum ?its a miny hand held howitzer, yes poaching is always a problem every where you go it doesnt matter, some one always trying to mess it up for everyone else,Far as the tree hugging squirel feeders,. dont have much use for them,Did you see the story of the tree hugger that went to live with grizzly bears because he loved them, then they ate him and his girlfreind, Goes to show you what tree hugging will get you! Animals are wild and unpredictable , would you walk up to a dingo and say" oooh come here pretty little puppy"hell no . Some people need to buck up and smell the coffee;;;;I say if its brown its down. Working on goats and rams for next year, hopefully elk in the fall darn lotterys for license draw it really should be free,"really" But if it was people would abuse that too, use to hunt public land but there is too many errisponsible hunters out there,now I private hunt and book my trips so I go when I can,"someone always messing it up for someone" Got shot at one to many times public hunting, they give any idiot a shotgun and a hunting license, some people arnt responsible enough to hunt!Good luck on your adventures, Whats the most dangerous game you have down there is it water buffalo, dingos or a mad kangaroo?

Quote Originally Posted by 30cal
    WELL THAT SOUNDS LIKE A FUN JOB. Wish I had that one, I enjoy hunting from time to time, going boar hunting a few from now, wonder how they are going to like my 300 ultra magnum ?its a miny hand held howitzer, yes poaching is always a problem every where you go it doesnt matter, some one always trying to mess it up for everyone else,Far as the tree hugging squirel feeders,. dont have much use for them,Did you see the story of the tree hugger that went to live with grizzly bears because he loved them, then they ate him and his girlfreind, Goes to show you what tree hugging will get you! Animals are wild and unpredictable , would you walk up to a dingo and say" oooh come here pretty little puppy"hell no . Some people need to buck up and smell the coffee;;;;I say if its brown its down. Working on goats and rams for next year, hopefully elk in the fall darn lotterys for license draw it really should be free,"really" But if it was people would abuse that too, use to hunt public land but there is too many errisponsible hunters out there,now I private hunt and book my trips so I go when I can,"someone always messing it up for someone" Got shot at one to many times public hunting, they give any idiot a shotgun and a hunting license, some people arnt responsible enough to hunt!Good luck on your adventures, Whats the most dangerous game you have down there is it water buffalo, dingos or a mad kangaroo?

The most dangeruos game I have ever hunted down here would a toss up between Camel or Water buff that have been shot full of #4 shot & .22 bullets by Black fellas in the hope of putting said Buff down ! They go out in a 4x4 with more fire power than the bismark &on finding a Buff they would give it everything they had until it either dropped (not often)or got away (the norm ) so by the time we came across them they were mighty cranky with anything that smelt like man !
    Camels just suffer "shit on the liver" all their lives & think nothing of attacking anything or one who threatens their harem ! Most people put Roos into the cute & cuddley class ! But they can grab a Dog or man if cornered balance on their tail grab with their fore legs & then disembowl with their rear legs ,or they will head for a dam & stand in the water & when the dog/dingo goes in after them they drown it by forcing it under with their rear legs !
    To make things worse I know of a chap who was shot by a Wallerby ! ....Yeah true story & we have never let him forget it either
    He shot said wallerby with a .22 auto loader & had only wounded it so he held it down by placeing the butt of said rifle on it's neck to pick up a rock to cave it's head in ! Well of corse the creature was thresing around & managed to get it's fore paw onto the trigger & set the rifle off as the owner was bent over ! He ended up getting shot through the armpit & the Police report read ....shot by Kangaroo ! Needless to say we always remind this chap to wear kevlar when shooting roos as they shoot back at him !!!!!!!

Dave

Neat thread Dave, Must be the life!!!
    Toney Relic Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Toney
    Neat thread Dave, Must be the life!!!
    I'll be quite honest Toney it' has a novelty for the first 6mths (I've done nothing else for 35+ yrs now ) but then it becomes like any other job! Your out in all weather ,there are break downs & injuries (several that should have killed me ) You sleep on the ground & cook on a open fire & live like a savage ! On the other hand ! It's the only job that I know of that pays well if you work bloody hard at it ,your Office & lunch room cieling is the Milky way & your hundreds of miles from another human being for weeks on end !

Dave

GunLoad Trainee

Thats a very funny story "poor fella" he would have to get some ribbing from my end of the fence!That would be pretty embarassing.

lovedogs

Hey, 30 Cal... all the advice given on how to size is good. I shoot mostly bolt actions in rifles and have found that I get excellent accuracy and long case life by using a FL die but only sizing to fit the chamber of a given rifle. Using a RCBS Precision Mic makes it easy to get it just right. I only set the shoulder back about .001 in. so get good case life and easy chambering, also. The best of both worlds I'd say.