Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Store bought bullets

By the way, the recipe you mentioned of 19 gr. 2400 and 240 gr. cast is a good one. I personally don't like 2400, because it is a "dirty burner". There are lots of guys that do like it, and when I was using it, it was very accurate. My favorite for all out power is Lil'Gun, H-110, and WW 296. For slightly less, and an excellent powder overall in .44 magnum, try Alliant Bluedot.

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB
    By the way, the recipe you mentioned of 19 gr. 2400 and 240 gr. cast is a good one. I personally don't like 2400, because it is a "dirty burner". There are lots of guys that do like it, and when I was using it, it was very accurate. My favorite for all out power is Lil'Gun, H-110, and WW 296. For slightly less, and an excellent powder overall in .44 magnum, try Alliant Bluedot.
    I've always found WW 296 a rather dirty powder or is it just me ? I like a load of about 20gns of ADI 2205 behind a 240 gn jaketed in the .44 mag (H4227) & for cast slugs I use 4.5 gns of green dot for a cowboy load with the 240g slug & 8gns of SR7625 as a nice light plinking load

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

Gary, I just recently learned of a good source of hardcast bullets. Its called penn bullets.com and they ship in 500 or 1,000 lots.

500 bullets $24, 1,000 $54...plus $7.70 flat rate shipping USPS box.

Check them out.

Jim

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks for the tip.
    Gary Carter
    Just picking brains, mines shot!

I've not found 296 or H-110 to be dirty burners...as long as they are used at high pressure/near max loads as is required with these powders. With 2400, I had unburned powder getting lodged under the ejector in my double action revolvers to the point that I couldn't close the cylinder.