Thread: Powder choices

GunLoad Trainee

Default Powder choices

Hi Gang; I am reloading 165 gr. bullets for my Remington 742 Auto-Loader,(308 ) with Winchester 748 powder at 44.5 grains and my 30/30 Marlin lever action at 36.0 grains for a 150gr. bullet. Does anyone have a better or similar recipe?

Hi Duker, welcome to the forum.
    Other good powders for the .308 are IMR 3031, 4064, & 4895. All of them are within the performance envelope for a semi-auto. I would also try 150gr bullets. My top choices for the .30-30 include IMR3031 and Alliant ReLoader7. Don't overlook Sierra 125gr FNHP's a bullet designed specifically to give the .30-30 an extra 50yds+ effective range for deer sized game and an extra 100yds for large varmints. You'll have to work up your own loads though, your rifles are the only ones that can tell you what charges are the most accurate in them. Every rifle is different, and then there are the added variables of different brass, primers, & bullets.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Don't leave out Varget. It works well in a .308 with a 165 - 168 grain bullet, and is good in the 30/30 too.
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

Quote Originally Posted by Duker View Post
    Hi Gang; I am reloading 165 gr. bullets for my Remington 742 Auto-Loader,(308 ) with Winchester 748 powder at 44.5 grains and my 30/30 Marlin lever action at 36.0 grains for a 150gr. bullet. Does anyone have a better or similar recipe?
    .....Use this information at your discretion............
    May I suggest 44.0 grains of Varget with an RWS primer? That was a winning load for me in my highpower days. The RWS primer really made the load a winning load - without it I wouldn't have been able to shoot the great scores that I did.

Matt Dardas
    Dardas Cast Bullets
    www.dardascastbullets.webs.com

I've been handloading for Win. 308 for about 38 years, and my two favorite powders are H-335 and IMR 4064.