Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 Colt

GunLoad Trainee

Hi kg42

Yes the gun is on the hevy side but the balance is good. When i bought it i had the hope of being able to take it on a hunting trip and then there is the history and charm around it, plus it is always fun to hear once fellow competitor vince and siegh when you start arrange your stuff

I have enough data to get started and i do all my reloading whit a rcbs rock chucker it might be slower but i feel i have moore control. On my last feildshooting here was one gay that manage to get 3!! bullets stock in his barrel (38 spl) and he uses a progresiv press.

Best regards
    Math

Hi there

I corrected some speed in my previous post.
    1000fps is my concept of a good load in these 1.29" cases but I wouldn't subject most 45 Colt guns to it with these powders.

I dug up some data from Ken Waters' Pet Loads:
    190gr Shur-X SWC with 7.0gr Red Dot for 838fps in a 4" 5/8 Ruger (most accurate load tested).
    With a Speer 185 SWC, he gives 6.5 of Bullseye and 7.0 of Unique for 868 and 719 fps.
    All loads are intended to be safe in older guns.

Hornady starts Bullseye and Red Dot at 4.7 gr, 700X at 5.0gr and 231 at 6.3 gr, all for 600fps with a 200 SWC swaged in a 4" 3/4 Colt SA (Third Ed. Handbook of Cartridge Reloading).

Now we need re-sults .

GunLoad Trainee

I wiill try to produce some result but all depends on when the mould arivs i am hoping by the end of the week and then i only have one veek of semester left before i am to don the uniform and spend the winter in Afghanistan. But i will do what i can

Math