Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My C&R rack

Added another Gew 88 to the stable...a Turkish 88/05/38. I've been looking for one of these for a while. I already have an unaltered Gew 88 and a Gew 88/05 modified to use stripper clips. The Gew 88/05/38 is the last major mod done to the 88 - the Turksmodernized them in 1935 to use the standard Turkish Mauser stock and bayonet.

Bore is excellent - should be a great cast boolit gun.

Nice rifle!!!
    Toney Relic Hunter

Old Timer

It's good to see you guys actively working on your C&R collections. I remember well what it was like. The bad part is, that after a few years when you have filled your collections, you'll start looking for imposible to find, or pieces that are too expensive to acquire.

But, I find that seeing newer collertors involved in "the persuit", is enjoyable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosko
    It's good to see you guys actively working on your C&R collections. I remember well what it was like. The bad part is, that after a few years when you have filled your collections, you'll start looking for imposible to find, or pieces that are too expensive to acquire.
    Well, probably not in my case.

I'm really not trying to amass a collection - I just have a technical interest in military firearms.

For instance, I have an Oberndorf Gewer 1898. I can examine the design and function of the design with this rifle, so I don't have any particular desire for another 1898. The exception is my Siamese Mauser, and only because it's the only '98 type designed for a rimmed cartridge.

Old Timer

I know what you're saying, I used to say the same thing exactly. But the problem is, you will never be satisfied. After that Siamese, there'll be something else that will come along and grap your interest the same way. It's inevitible!

Mosko, I was all set to rebut you, then I realized you're probably right...I'm a sucker for old stuff that goes, "Boom"..