Thread: Need info

Default Need info

I have a chance to purchase a T/C Compass in 243. Anyone have experience or know of another's experience?

I guess the only way to find out is to shoot it.

Reviews I have read (three) have all carefully stepped around its accuracy, beyond "...it was more accurate than I had expected...", "...modern manufacturing makes for much more accurate rifles out of the box than in days past and we think the world of Blablabla ammunition..." All were obviously paid reviewers. Normally they talk groups @100, this one they say "obviously designed not as a target rifle but as a hunter". I don't get Gun Tests any more, but that is where I would look first.

After what S&W did to T/C in the buy out and to the folks I know who lost their jobs of 20+ years with no notice, (not even to begin to get into key locks on revolvers), I'm in no hurry to check out any new 5groove barrel offerings by either company, long or short. They lost my trust and I've smelled rodent around all their products ever since. Twice burned and it's not shyness.

I'd lean towards a Ruger American in the budget class with its superior bedding system or a Savage Axis with its easily swapped barrel.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775