Thread: 9.3 x 72R reloads?

SpringCreekTradeCo

Default 9.3 x 72R reloads?

I'm new at this, but I need to find some decent reloads for the 9.3x72R in my old drilling. Any of you have experience loading this? I thought I'd get a Lee sizing die and make .366 bullets from Sierra 200 Grain flatnose .375s. Any load ideas?

Welcome to the forum McKenzi2.

Barnes, Nosler, and Speer all make bullets of the proper size. Or you could buy or make your own cast bullets. I don't have any loading data for the cartridge beyond these three from COTW:
    250grSP H380 60.0 2400fps Barnes
    270grSP IMR 4198 55.0 2300fps Speer
    286grSP IMR 4064 55.0 2300fps Barnes

Even if you have a really heavy duty press, I do not think what you will end up with from your resizing attempt will be worth the effort. Aside from the problem of proper lube for the process, I would be very concerned about jacket separation and poor terminal performance on game after sizing them down that much. They might or might not be OK for target work, but I do not personally know of anyone who has had positive results trying to resize anything with a jacket unless they used a swaging press and proper dies. Even then, the jackets would not hold together consistantly. Possibly heating them after sizing enough to melt and rebond the core might work.

As to the sizer itself, the closest non-custom Lee size is .358. If you don't want to pay them and then wait months for a custom sizer, you could go the modification. That would require the removal of a good amount of metal - not impossible, but difficult to do accurately with hand tools and it would take quite a while. On a lathe with an adjustable reamer the job would be a lot easier.

Then again, the easiest thing to do would be to have Buckshot make a push through sizer for you - much cheaper than a Lee custom and much faster turn around. PM him over on CB for prices. He does great work.

But I still don't think much of the resizing idea. I'd buy them or go with cast if it was me.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

SpringCreekTradeCo

Default 9.3 x 72R reloads?

What can you tell me about "BUCKSHOT" that you mentioned...

look him up in the members list he is a top notch machinist and reasonable.
    you would i think be better off to buy thecorrect bullets,
    the price of either the sierras or the hornadys are near 40.00 per hundred.
    and i think that hornady makes a proper bulllet.

GunLoad Trainee

Hi Mckenzi2
    Sellier & Bellot makes a flat nosed soft point weighing 193gr intended for 9,3x72 they also makes ammo. Have't loded that cartridge myself so i can't help you there

Best regards
    Math

GunLoad Trainee

I have drawn or sized 375 bullets to 366 for my 9.3x74R double rifle for perhaps 25 years. They are as accurate as any other 9.3mm bullet. Most of the people who say it doesn't work have never tried it for themselves. Terminal performance on everything from deer on up is no different than the same bullet un-modified shot at the same velocity. 300 grain Hornadys at 2200 ft/sec go all the way through and nothing moves more than a few steps afterwards.
    Many 9.3x72Rs require a somewhat smaller bullet (perhaps as small as 0.364") so slug your bore to be sure.
    If you can find Ideal mould 366408 you may be happy with it. I like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzi2 View Post
    I'm new at this, but I need to find some decent reloads for the 9.3x72R in my old drilling. Any of you have experience loading this? I thought I'd get a Lee sizing die and make .366 bullets from Sierra 200 Grain flatnose .375s. Any load ideas?
    I think I would start casting... It is easy and you will certainly have far better performance. The right lead bullet will do everything a Jacket bullet can and sure give you the satifaction of knowing you can always have access to projectiles.

GunLoad Trainee

Go over to the Castboolits site. Several of the guys over there are shooting the 9.3 in various lengths. If you don't want to cast go to the bottom of the page over there and click on the Bullshop link. I believe he can cast you the boolit you want in whatever hardness you want.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzi2 View Post
    I find that the 9.3X72R barrels usually have a pretty slow twist. That, combined with the slower velocities favor lighter bullets. As a fan of the caliber, I've made bullets as described (swaging them down) but wasn't as happy with the results as when I made a swage (upsetting) die and bumped up .358 Speer 180 grain (35 Rem) bullets to .366. The jacket tightens up when you do it that way, whereas it loosens when you swage them down. This bullet has a fairly thin jacket & expands very well at the lower velocity in deer & hogs. It's also very accurate. A lot of these old drillings have bores that are a little rough, though they stiil shoot great. That makes a jacketed bullet preferable from a fouling standpoint. Just make your die per instructions in Nonte's book Cartridge Conversions. I also changed the nose design some on mine & use a 20T hydraulic press to bump them up to .366.
    Greg