Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nosler Ballistic Tips

Default Nosler BTs

At high impact velocities into tough tissue or bone the BTs tend to blow into long shards. Those shards can radiate from zone of maximum dynamic pressure within wound channel at near 90' angles. That is actually nothing new! Been known to do that since the Nosler Solid Base came out a lotta years ago!!! (same bullet as the BT except for the plastic tip on the BT). Both the BT and Solid Base are nothing more than conventional cup core bullets with thick base cup and a semi boat tail. Will they kill stuff?- yes. Are they generally an accurate bullet?-yes. Are they the best bullet choice for serious hunting, expensive hunting trips, critters that deserve the best humane kill?- no IMO. Targets and small per caliber varmints?- fine. Penny wise, pound foolish. Can you take most any bullet and run it at high velocity out the end of a barrel and kill something?- yes.
    "You can't have no idea how little I care"- Montelius Walsh

GunLoad Trainee

"You can't have no idea how little I care"
    ...will prob'ly fit with this post real nice! :)

I've killed quite a few paper plates with Nosler 165 grain boattails...
    The load second from the right...

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/reloads.jpg
    (for a 1950's Win-94 30-30)

Once I get that load into the chamber there's only one easy way to get it out. LOL :)

The first load from the right is a 7mm Waters -reload- I found.

During those tests (killing those paper plates with my old 30-30) the magazine
    and forearm etc was removed so it was as if the barrel was "free floated" and the
    crazy old thing shot real good setup like that. So proceeded to figure out how to
    get the magazine and forearm etc to not effect it so much after I put it back
    together. :)

Alvin in AZ
    Last edited by Alvin in AZ; 08-26-2008 at 02:07 PM.