Thread: Lee auto disk

GunLoad Trainee

Default Lee auto disk

Hello I reloading 230gn lead 45acp. I just changed powder from accurate #2 to #5 that is all I can find right now. I'm using lee disk 4.9 and it drops 7.4 to 7.5 gns of powder. The start load is 7.7 not to exceed 8.5. Well out of 10 reloads 3 would not chamber. I'm thinking the powder load is too small. I put in the next size disk 5.3 and it's dropping 8.6 to 8.8 gns . My lee chart says never exceed 8.5.
    Is 8.6 to 8.8 dangerous?
    Thanks, Chuck

NRA Distinguished Life Kirbydoc's Avatar

Hi Chuck, there are two issues here,
    1. the amount of powder has nothing to do with whether a round will chamber unless it is so heavy it keeps the bullet from seating correctly. If you can seat the bullet with no difficulty then that is not an issue. You may need to change your bullet seating die setting to better size those cases as you seat the bullet and maybe bell them a little less before seating a bullet.
    2. Yes 8.6 to 8.8 gr. is potentially really dangerous. I would drop the 7.4 to 7.5 and then trickle .2gr. more to start with a trickler. Just don't seat the bullets until all the cases are charged with the correct amount of powder. I realize that means pulling the charged cases out of the press and putting them in a loading tray but that may be the only safe way to do this.

Reload and Shoot Safely.

Kirbydoc

Kirbydoc is 100% correct. The two issues have nothing to do with each other, but both need to be addressed.

First find out why the rounds are not chambering. In a .45ACP too great OAL (Over All Length) usually causes feeding and not chambering issues, but one must check and eliminate it as a possible cause because it is the easiest thing to check out first. I am thinking KD hit the nail on the head with the belling. You can back off the belling die a bit, but a better solution is either a taper or factory crimp die that will remove the bell after seating just enough to insure clean chambering and still allow the cartridge to headspace on the case mouth as intended. It adds another die to the process, but it eliminates a lot of potential headaches in the process.

The powder measuring issue is something altogether different and potentially much more serious. There are very real reasons for both listed minimum and maximum charge levels. Going below minimum in an autoloader has two potential pitfalls: First it may not cycle the action, and second it may lodge a bullet in the barrel. (Just a primer in and UNCHARGED .45 case is enough to stick one up the pipe, but you can do it with squib - minimal - loads too.) Going above maximum is not only dangerous, it is potentially suicidal. Blown up pistol, injured shooter, injured bystanders, bad idea.

You have run head on into the reason why adjustable cavity powder measures are the norm in our endeavor. They have the versatility that fixed cavity measures lack. When your powder choice and desired charge level are compatible with a fixed cavity you have no problems. When they are not you either have to get creative as suggested (which adds hours to a loading session), or you have to get an adjustable measure. (Which I recommend as you don't always have the selection of powders you'd prefer.)

IMO the best small charge adjustable measure on the market today for flake and ball powders is the Lyman #55, but a Uniflow or any of the other close copies of it on the market will work just fine and will better handle extruded rifle powders too. I use both depending. I also have a set of Lee dippers that come in handy every so often too.

If you can get any of the Alliant powders, most of them will be compatible with your fixed cavity measure for at least one workable load, but that may not be much help if you can't get it where you are.

Interestingly, I've been loading a surp version of #2 for my .45ACP's with 220+ cast bullets for the last ten years and I have one #55 set up specifically for them since we go through so many.

Please let us know how everything works out.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

custom size a disk ( mark accordingly ! ) or use the adjustable disk , an easy way out ? to make a slightly too large disc smaller or adjustable ( to a wee bit .. ) drill and tap for a set screw , screw in to umm fine tune smaller ,etc ...