Thread: 30-06 bullets for tahr

ok

Default 30-06 bullets for tahr

Recently we picked up an older 30-06 F.N. deluxe Mauser with a detachable Pecar Scope. this rifle appears virtually in unfired condition. The objective is to load it for Tahr and Chamois . Range out to 300 + at reasonably high altitude 3000 to 6000 ft and generally shooting angle to 30 deg + or -. . any way nailing these guys is important because they can be impossible to get at if they take off wounded and ruined meat. am looking at Hornady 165 grain InterBond or SST, Speer 165 grain Grand Slam, or Nosler Ballistic Tip. Assuming these rounds are still current. we can get Sudden high winds in these areas so the more stable the bullet the better. A by product being Red Deer, Primarily Tahr is the target as tahr are akin to lamb on the table. Wild meat is getting down a bit as we finished the wild pork and Fallow deer about a week ago. Would appreciate any advice . I want a bullet which will hit hard and expand. Ancestor.

I think I would be looking at Barnes or Nosler Partitions for performance at that range, but not every rifle likes either bullet. For the range I agree on the weight.

But it occurs to me that those are not really big critters and IMO ought not to require performance exceeding the capabilities of a cup&core bullet. I might be more inclined to just go with what the rifle shoots most accurately. Nos BT's, Sierra GK's, Hdy's, whichever 165 it shoots best that you have access to. At longer ranges a cup&core bullet that hits precisely where it is supposed to is a lot better than a premium bullet that might "wander a bit". As I see it, the only opinion that really matters is the rifle's. Ask it and let us know what it shoots.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

ok

Thanks Versifyer, I take your wisdom on board, I had great results with Hornady in 375 mag in Norma and Remington cases,and Norma load Hornady SP in their reloading guide. Hornady being usually available. I may start there. I have never used Hornady brass will probably be able to access Norma. I have used the Lee Factory crimp die in both 375 and my 8mm Mauser. I would be interested in your opinion on this . I felt I had a touch better accuracy and tighter spread in Chrony results. It will be a little later in the year before I really get down to it so will keep you posted as to the results. as always I look forward to any advice you come up with. Regards Ancestor.

John Lee made two of the most significant advances in reloading dies of the twentieth century. I refer to his collet neck sizer and the factory crimp dies.

The rifle factory crimp die works regardless of case length and will work on a jacketed bullet with or without a cannelure. (No more collapsed .30-30 necks!!!!!) I couldn't load cast bullets without them. I have over thirty of them in various cartridges including several custom ones.

I test every single load I work up, cast or jacketed, with and without a FC on it just to see what happens. It is different every time. Cast loads need them for consistent ignition at lower loading densities like revolver loads do. Like with the collet die, sometimes the groups tighten right up, sometimes it makes no difference. You never know what will happen without actually testing each load.

I prefer not to crimp jacketed target loads for single shots and bolt actions to save the extra step unless the rifle disagrees, then I listen to the rifle and crimp the load. I will always use it for levers, pumps, and semiautos, for anything hard kicking, and also for hunting loads that might be exposed to weather. I have a spare one in -06 that I would send you if the shipping to NZ wouldn't cost 10x what you could get the die for.

I usually keep Nosler Partitions around in 6mm - .30cal to see which hunting rifles shoot them acceptably as we have moose in these parts, but I don't see much need for premium bullets here where the brush is thick and the ranges are so short. A cast bullet will do for most of what I am still able to hunt myself. Very few of the hunters I know locally load their own ammo. Those that appreciate the accuracy and performance of custom handloads have me do them up. Some of them are willing to pay for premium bullets, most find the Sierra GK's I usually load are more accurate and considerably cheaper.

Not the world's greatest Hornady fan, but that is generally because I have seldom found or owned a rifle that didn't shoot Sierras or Nosler BT's better and they are readily available most of the time. There have been exceptions, though, and I readily admit that no dead animal in my freezer has ever complained about an inch or two difference in group size. The better accuracy gives me more confidence I think. I do load a lot of them as I often get them in trade, but If I hve to spend cash I will buy Sierras when I can. Bullets aside, I flatly refuse to buy another set of Hornady dies ever again after two trips to the ER for stitches, but that's a story for another day. I can't see why their brass (made domestically, not sure by whom - think it's Winchester) should be more expensive than imported Norma cases other than greed, so I won't buy it. Range pickup with their headstamp stands up no better or worse than any other.

I am really liking Prvi brass. We can often get it LOADED cheaper than Nor or Hdy unloaded unprimed cases. It is hard to find Prvi new unloaded cases here, but I am told that will be improving.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

ok

Again many thanks Versifier, and your kind offer however I shall have no trouble getting the Lee factory crimp die over here and you may have closer more deserving hunters over there. I have no experience with Sierra and none with Speer since the 1970's, when young and bushy tailed I briefly tried some 7x57 loading.here all Norma brass and powder components were available. Norma powder is no longer here so at present I use ADI powders which is close to Hodgdon whom in turn are made by ADI anyway as I understand it. I shall look Sierra GK's up. usually can get from Australia the unobtainable here. The FN will probably be destined to a grandson a bit later on I suspect Though I will try the high Glacial valleys first.
    Good luck and good health, it's always nice to hear from you and am grateful for your advice.
    Regards Ancestor.

NRA Distinguished Life Kirbydoc's Avatar

ancestor, good to see you around. I just have to say this: Whose ancestor are you again?
    Sorry, I had a very trying day yesterday and still recovering.

ok

Hello there Kirbydoc, Ah-Ha ancestor to two bushy tailed sons one daughter in law and a bunch of bushy tailed grand sons and one grand daughter also another taking up the bow and rifle. the odd great great though these don't figure yet, so I claim the ancestral position. As I am passing into the ancient category my hunting is getting narrowed down somewhat. I have always hunted for the pot, So we don't eat it I don't shoot it. Also it is just as much fun seeing the surprised look on a big stags face ( we don't like eating a great rancid stags ) when he realizes one is only 20 feet away with a rifle on ones knees grinning foolishly at him. High on the food list is Tahr, Slow casserole shanks with herbs, celery, carrots, onion, garlic and spicy dumplings and really can't do much better. Nice young Fallow hind, Same with wild pork, Sika, Chamois. I guess red deer at the bottom. and I will not go into the bird shooting bit it sort of makes one hungry.
    Hoping you will allow me to retain my ancestral role in this I can only wish you speedy recovery from your trying situation.
    nice having contact,
    regards Ancestor.

NRA Distinguished Life Kirbydoc's Avatar

Ancestor, do you folks have any bears there? Anything like mine? American black bear.
    http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/portals/...blackbear1.jpg
    No need to worry about the title friend.

ok

Hi Kirbydoc, no bears I'm afraid, no Cougars or wolves(except in government) . Believe it or not NZ was a country of birds up to 9 feet high(The first inhabitants ate them all or something like that) the odd prehistoric reptile about 15 inches long and insects, spiders and things, all the game species have been introduced including Elk ( mostly called Wapiti here) which were a present from your President Teddy Roosevelt. He hunted here a few times. There were no predators so quite a few birds which we still have a couple, lost the ability to fly. The first mammal was a Polynesian edible rat. until the rest of us arrived !!
    Unless the hunters can control numbers the government poisons them. That's a shortened version of our miserable existence but we have learned to live with it.
    With regards Ancestor