Thread: red dot reciept

GunLoad Trainee

Question red dot reciept

looking for some 20 ga reciepts using WW double A hulls, W 209 primers and red dot powder

Welcome to the Guide Rooster.

I will leave suggestions to those who knows.

What have you tried so far and what kind of loads are you looking for, target or hunting and how heavy a shot charge?

The Alliant website has a lot of good info, but doesn't list any data for RedDot with those hulls. It may not be the best choice if the manufacturer doesn't recommend it. But then they don't recommend it for cast rifle loads either and it's really popular for it. Someone who knows a lot more about shotshells than I do (which is most everyone ) ought to know why as I have only used in in rifles and handguns and not often. What gauge and weight of charge is it usually used for?

I do not have a copy of the Lyman Shotshell Handbook, if no one chimes in I would look there.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

ok

Hercules smokeless powder re loaders guide 1976, For light and standard shot shell loads in 12, 16, and 20 gauge. also for hand gun I think. Red dot was for lighter loads than we were loading. I used Green dot loading 2nd3/4 x 1nd1/4 oz, very early in my reloading time but generally it became unobtainable and I went on to ICI powders.
    The address given on my old guide HERCULES incorporated, 910 Market Street, Wilmington, Delaware 19899.
    That is about all I can lay my hands on here, best of luck .
    Regards Ancestor,

Thank you Ancestor. Then the data should be out there somewhere and we ought to be able to locate a safe source for Rooster.

Rooster, is there a particular reason you chose Red Dot?

Hercules is Alliant now and you can find them online. They used to put out a free booklet every year with a bunch of rifle/handgun/shotshell loading data and I remember sending for it every year or two to update. All my books are in storage right now so I cannot access my loading data library, which includes a bunch of them. I haven't heard of them being available for a while now, but I may simply have missed their yearly ads in the gun rags.

I hadn't visited in several years, and I have to say that I found the Alliant/Etc. website really wanting. Instead of simply listing the data in block form like a manual the way it used to, it has been "upgraded" so that now you have to search each individual combination, one at a time, waiting for each one to load and see if it has what you want or not. It took me ten minutes to not find what I was looking for when it would have taken seconds with the printed book. There is no search engine onsite and the whole experience just wastes a lot of time. This is not progress.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775