Thread: Mossberg Patriot?

Default Mossberg Patriot?

Any info will be appreciated. I hear good things from the scribes but have not shot one yet. I can get one for $250 with a Vortex scope. Don't know much about Vortex either. My part time check needs to be spent. HA HA

NRA Distinguished Life Kirbydoc's Avatar

Mike, I don't know if this will help but it's the best I can do. I don't have one of these.
    http://bestriflescopereview.com/vortex-rifle-scopes/

A general thought: With these package deals, don't expect much from the optics. I got it's main competitor a Savage Axis in .223 last year for around $300 (which doesn't mean I know anything about the new Mossbergs). They are topped with cheap Bushnell 3-9's - about the same class of glass as Vortex. I will put the scope on a loaner rifle eventually if I don't simply trade it to someone I don't like, but to me the glass is worthless. I joked with the salesman that with that glass on it they should have discounted the rifle even more. He laughed and told me he was a Leupold man and agreed with me, but it was already on sale and so were these new Leupold scopes and was I interested in some decent optics for it? Left there with rifle, the scope it came with, and one spare mag.

As to the rifle itself, the Patriot, like the Axis, is designed to be an inexpensive entry level hunting rifle. Barrels and fitting are not custom grade and should not be expected to be tack drivers, but you never know. I keep thinking positive when a new centerfire comes out at an irresistible price. I have collected Rem788's, still have two. They were the economy rifle next to the m700 back in the day. They are my two most accurate rifles. The Axis is no subMOA match rifle, but it would be adequate for large game, though not good enough for longer range varminting. A friend just bought last month an Axis in .22-250 and it looks like the barrel is the same as on my .223 accuracy is on par also, unfortunately. He'll load NPAR's and use it as a low recoiling 250yd (the field he hunts) deer rifle, exactly what he wanted. Neither Axis would is able to hit a golf ball @100yds with every shot, never mind doing it at 300 or 400yds, so they won't work for small varmints at longer ranges. But for larger critters you don't need tack driving accuracy (minute-of-deer up to 3-4MOA) it becomes an able and capable all weather hunting rifle whose stock retains zero when temperatures and humidity levels fluctuate. And if the neighbor's kid falls down a mountain while carrying it and wraps it around a beech tree you're out nothing more than a cheap rifle and might even end up with some decent video. What's wrong with that?

If I guessed the Patriot was in the same accuracy class (honestly 2-3MOA) I probably wouldn't be too far off, so don't buy the varmint rifle chamberings and you'll have a useful all weather utility large game rifle that pieplates @200yds or more and will fill freezers depending on the skills of the hunters carrying it.

I have one rule when buying new guns though: always wait until a model has been in production for at least a year so they can find and address any minor (or major) engineering issues.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775