Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trail Boss Powder And The 45-70

GunLoad Trainee

Default Trail Boss Powder And The 45-70

HELLO EVERYONE,
    I am new to your forum and would like to ask about Trail Boss powder.
    Has anyone tried it in the 45-70 and if so, what were results?
    I have used this powder in pistol cals and it is great. I just wanted a little info from more experienced folks before embarking on tests with the big boomer.
    thanks, MUZZLEDUSTER

Welcome Muzzleduster I have'nt used any TB yet or read much on the powder. I would be intrested in using TB in the "load" my K31 really likes the short pistol bullets with unique.

I would think TB would be just perfect for the 45-70.

Talking

Have you tried 5744 in your 45-70. I like the way it burns so nice and clean started with 25 grns under a 405 grn cast bullet and worked up to 30 grns
    shooth real good in my rolling block and my trapdoor (keeping it around 25 grns)
    Have also used it in my 40-90 SBN Sharps.
    Thanks Ken
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

Welcome to the guide Kodiak1
    Toney Relic Hunter

Private

Kodiak1,
    Same here.
    Welcome to the board.
    Never get caught with your pants down.
    Makes it hard to run.
    NAHC Life Member
    The old calibers and guns got the job done
    WARTHOG

GunLoad Trainee

Default Trail Boss Powder and the 45-70

The weather finally let up for a few hours today. I've had some Trail Boss loaded up for a couple weeks now. I tried it out in my .38 Special, my .357 Magnum and my 45-70. Since you asked about the 45-70 I'll talk about that. I loaded bullets cast from a RCBS 300gr GC mold. With my alloy and the checks and the lube these weighed 330gr. I put 16 grains of Trail Boss in a Starline case with a Federal 210 primer to set it off. I used the 50/50 alox/beeswax for lube and no crimp on the case mouth. At 75 yards my friend and (sometimes) me could print 3 shot cloverleafs. Very clean burning and pleasant to shoot. I'll try some 405 PBFP's next go round. Hope this helps you out some.

Welcome to the guide Mr. Peabody
    Toney Relic Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    The weather finally let up for a few hours today. I've had some Trail Boss loaded up for a couple weeks now. I tried it out in my .38 Special, my .357 Magnum and my 45-70. Since you asked about the 45-70 I'll talk about that. I loaded bullets cast from a RCBS 300gr GC mold. With my alloy and the checks and the lube these weighed 330gr. I put 16 grains of Trail Boss in a Starline case with a Federal 210 primer to set it off. I used the 50/50 alox/beeswax for lube and no crimp on the case mouth. At 75 yards my friend and (sometimes) me could print 3 shot cloverleafs. Very clean burning and pleasant to shoot. I'll try some 405 PBFP's next go round. Hope this helps you out some.
    I will try it. do you have the F.P.S? I want to use it with a plain base boolit.
    DANIEL/BS JR.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

GunLoad Trainee

Default Trail Boss Powder and the 45-70

I don't have FPS on it. When I get a nicer day I'll clock it and see. The load chart I got the information from suggested 1300+ fps. Let us know how it goes.

Ok, this has nothing to do with the 45/70, but becouse we are talking about Trail Boss I have to give my little brother some credit. My little brother is 8 years old and loads for his ruger 22 hornet. My dad recenty got a can of Trail Boss, and my little brother wanted to try it in his hornet. Whant out there and shot sevral shots in the same hole. Boy has he happy when he shot a better groop then me on the first time!!! And that is only becouse he cleans his gun every day wether he shoots it of not and I have not cleaned mine sence I got it 2 years ago. I recenty lerned that cleaning your rifle every once in awhile is a big help in acercy.
    Delbert/ BS JR.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)