Thread: Loading Table height?

GunLoad Trainee

Default Loading Table height?

What is the best table/stool heigth combination? I know it may have to be adjusted for each persons height. But here is my problem, after only a few minutes at the reloading table my upper back, between my shoulder blades is killing me! Like nothing else, reloading really makes my back hurt. I have a Lee turret and have my table at regular cabinet height, I think it is 30" - 31" Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated as I love to reload otherwise.

i am abouy 6' tall and i set my benches 40"- 42" high
    you need to keep in mind your equipment heught.
    at this height i had to trim a bit off of the shot hopper for my ponses warrens.

i can stand at my 550's with the bench mounts
    or sit at my rock chucker and reach my lyman dps powder dump on the bench easily
    i built a small bench on top of my bench wich has my scale and powder
    dumps on it and can use them standing or sitting

I built a custom bench that I can either stand at or sit on a high stool, depending on how much leverage I need. The bench height is both a matter of how tall you are and how high the press sits above the bench. If your back bothers you, it sounds to me like your present setup is way too low. I have a little FA portable that I use in the winter as my shop is unheated, and there are operations that I simply cannot do with it, some for lack of leverage like fl sizing rifle cases and belling pistol cases, others because they cause too much back strain. It works out though, as I spend most of the time inside and lass out in the deep freeze.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

Riverfun is about right. I work as a chef and most kitchen tables are 36-38" high and that is designed to work flat on the tabletop (cutting, chopping etc). At home my bench is exactly 42" high and I have a Dillon 550 mounted on it on a strongmount. It raises the reloader above the bench and it works fine for standing or with a barstool heighth seat.

Hope that helps

I belive my bemch is around 32 inches high and I use a normal dining chair. Some guys don't like it but for me it's all I want to use. I'm 5' 10" all I have to do is to remember to sit back. I have a higher table to chair ratio for my lead bench but thats out of necessaty instead of choice.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading newbie

dkly
    you must be a younger guy as us older guys would either stand or sit on a stool
    so that every time we ned to get cases or primers we dont want to haul our butts
    outta a folding chair, we want to just turn to the side and walk to what we want
    this is also a bit safer in case you set off a primer or sweat a drop of water
    into a pot of lead as it allows you to move quicker
    you may knock over a stool and trip some but you are out of the way quickly

My lead stuff is higher and I deffinatly hear what your saying. I have my reloading bench set up so I have everything pretty well in reach. My setup is still fairly small using a single stage press. I have a lower shelf that all my dies and powder are on but I keep my primers in a ammo can so I have to collect everything before I start. I am a little younger I haven't made it to thirty yet but flying around on a C-130 for a couple of years makes your back and hips act a little older than they are
    Nathan

hear ya on that
    took a trip or two on the kc-135
    was glad to guard them after each trip

I was a flight engineer so I had no choice and she's a rough ride wheather your in a web seat or up front.
    Nathan