Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At Last Some Trigger Time Today

Default At Last Some Trigger Time Today

Took a much needed break from all this packing and cleaning bull and hit the range. First I played with my 1917 Mauser and some cast bullets at the 6" 100yd gong. I had planned to do some testing, but decided I needed more offhand practice. What I found was I really need even more is to find a bit more accurate load and should have shot some tests instead. So far I haven't found the powder the Lee 175's will group with over 1300-1400fps. I'd like some more than that. Probably have better results if I open up the sizer to .325 or .326. No problem 2-3MOA with Sierra 150PH's, so I know I can do better.

Then I shot my SR9C and rocked the 12" gongs at 25 and 50yds. It is one accurate and easy handling little pistol. I am so glad I decided to buy it.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Back today, shot my little prewar S&W .38spec that I carry 24/7. It did not like this mid range target load worked up for my Contender. Shotgun patterns where I can usually keep them in 4" double action at 25yds. Wasn't me. Two different 9mm's next and I didn't miss a single reactive target at 25 or 50yds. Time to do some revolver cleaning and maintenance.

One of the 9's was my buddy's $125 High Point. It had less than a box through it so we needed to do some breaking in. No failures to feed or fire the 100rds we shot through it today. At 25 we had no trouble hitting 4" round and square reactive hangers. At 50yds I hit the 12" gong every time and the 4" round ball next to it every other shot. The SR9C hits it every time and cost more than three times as much, but that cheap High Point outshoots many production pistols and most older ones. It is heavy and it isn't pretty, but the trigger is not bad at all and it is unexpectedly accurate, way above the minimum MOa (Minute Of axxhole) required for a carry or house gun. More weight translates to negligible recoil so it is perfect for training. I have found the same decent accuracy and reliability in his .45ACP pistol and carbine, too. We shoot the carbine at 100yds with a red dot sight and hit the 24" square every shot (the dot is bigger than the square in your sight picture). It's been through a few thousand rounds I've loaded and more than that with people wanting to shoot it and bringing factory stuff. I figure maybe 5000 rounds before we bothered to clean it. Not a hiccup. The .45 pistol has a couple thousand through it maybe. It is equally accurate as its 9mm counterpart, it just shoots a bigger bullet and the extra weight of the pistol makes it very comfortable to shoot and very fast with a followup. Too big and clunky to carry comfortable with the limited selection of holsters, they would make good truck or nightstand guns. With a laser the carbine would be the ultimate home defense weapon, recoiling much less than a shotgun of even the smaller gauges.

Who else has had a chance to fool with one of these High Point products and what was your experience?
    "Stand your ground.

I have an older High Point 9 carbine. It is fun to shoot and accurate. See U soon

Beautiful Downtown South Carolina Where the Frenchies all hang out

Great to see someone got some real trigger time in
    It's been about 3 years since I got in some real trigger time
    On a good note
    Judi passed her cwp here in the sunny south
    She did it with a skky cpx-1 and a taurus pt-22
    The Skky is a 9mm and started to jam on her so the cwp instructor let her use the Taurus
    Man she was shaking like a leaf thinking everyone was watching her but she passed with an 85 out of a 100
    Camper at RLB Fest 2006,2007,2008,2009,2010 and 2012
    Hosted 2011 in New Hampsha ya I did
    Proud owner of a 264RLB #4

Buy her a Ruger SR9C. It will fit smaller female hands not bad and has interchangeable grip inserts and comes with both 10rd & 17rd mags. Novice shooters seem to do pretty well with it, too. Mine has around 1000rds through it now, no FTF's or any kind of jam not ammo related. My buddy's has somewhere between 2-3000rds through it, same perfect reliability. Never a hiccup. Check them out. Can't afford to trust the life of someone you love to an unreliable pistol.

Scrubbed and cleaned the old revolver, not a trace of leading or any other obvious issue. Has to be the dang load. Too bad as it's been a decent practice load for other revolvers and my Contender and I have a few thousand of them in my ammo stash. I worked up carry loads for the snubby years ago, both JHP's and cast SWCHP's. I was making regular hits with them last summer at 100yds. Time to do a new load workup for the old girl with the target bullets I guess.

Mike, we'll possibly be shooting Wednesday after 5PM near Bethel if you can make it. Nothing is ever definite as he's on call for deliveries, but 9 out of 10 times it works out without a hitch.
    "Stand your ground.

NRA Distinguished Life Kirbydoc's Avatar

Sky, tell her it's a good thing to do something under pressure. If she ever needs to use it there WILL be lots of pressure. Train until it is just a natural threat response.

NRA Distinguished Life Kirbydoc's Avatar

Hey Vers, how bad are the black flies this year?

I am sorry the term black fly has been deemed inappropriate. You have to use the proper name now.

Scientific name: Simuliidae

-----
    NRA Endowment Life Member

They disappear when you have two days in a row in the 90's. Usually they are history by the beginning of July. This was an easy year - they were gone by mid-June. Mosquitoes, deer flies, horse flies, moose flies, and no-see-'ums are not fazed by the heat at all. Life is what it is. Not all the women up here have no teeth and outweigh my Toyota, you know. We have better things to do than get our ears chewed and eyelids sucked dry when the bugs are bad. April and May are the only months when it really isn't fit to shoot outside, and we shoot from inside anyway.
    "Stand your ground.

ok

Hlo Versifer, Interested to read of the 1917 Mauser' I have a 1913 Obendorf Sporter it is in mint and is very accurate. however my eyesight is old like me . Original with no scope My Optometrist solved it for me. My spec to her was I want to see the sights as I could at 17 years of age out to 200 meters.She did better than this and I would never bother with a scope again shoot with both eyes open,lead a running deer and bingo. brought my whole hunting life back to par. only problem now is I run out of steam in the mountains and at 5000 ft am a puffing billy . Cant find a way around this one. I have had several Mauser's over the years from 375 H&H down to 7x57 and see no reason to change. Good luck and good hunting .