Thread: Stag Model 6 reloading

Default Stag Model 6 reloading

At some point I remember some one on here had a Stag model 6. I have been testing some loads and have so far narrowed it down to the Varmegedon 55 gr.
    I am a little undecided on the powder so far because I have not tried CFE 223 or AA2230.

I was wondering what that particular gun liked for loads. I also am wondering about he particulars of COL in AR's.

NRA Distinguished Life Kirbydoc's Avatar

Default Different OAL's for Different bullets

I don't have a stag but maximum COL is 2.260" for magazines...
    Hodgdon says different OAL's for Different bullets. Check it out here:
    http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

Alliant has different OAL's for different bullets. Check it out here: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

If you are using Hodgdon or Alliant powders personally I would use their OAL's.

Some thoughts: In general, I use mfg's OAL for the specific bullet until the load is worked up, then I increase it to the longest that will feed cleanly. (I call that "the rifle's max OAL", not to be confused with the "chamber's max OAL" - a hair short of the lands - which only works for single loading.) Unless the bullets have cannelures and you don't have a factory crimp, then the position of the cannelure on the bullet is what governs the OAL. Bolt or semi, this works for me. Tubular mag levers I just use the factory specs as they are more likely to have feeding issues. But, though I do not have excessive AR experience, I have loaded for a bunch of them and IME it is so rare to find one that approaches MOA that it is not generally worth pushing the length as it doesn't make enough difference in accuracy to matter. In fact, it has been rarely that I have encountered and centerfire semi (and damned few boltguns) that is accurate enough to bother. So unless you have a real tack driver use the mfg's specs. Alliant uses bullet mfg's specs in its testing and data.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Grunt

COL:
    1) fits magazine
    2) close to but not touching the lede/lands/rifling
    3) Varies by bullet, depending on ogive
    4) Always load a couple of inert dummy rounds and verify that they fit the mag and feed and chamber in your rifle/chamber
    5) Have very little experience with .223 and was surprised that my AR won't chamber an empty case.

That would be me, a 6L to be exact. I just tested some loads about a month ago, hornady 52 gr. hpbt and a Sierra 50 gr blitz king. IMR 8208

Both shot about the same with each shooting groups in the .3's. I need to get some more loaded and keep the testing going. The wind was acting up and I think it was messing with me a little.

BB

BBerguson, now you gone and done it. That is nothing like I tried. May be next time I am somewhere to get supplies I will look. For now I am keying in on the 55 gr. I just picked up some CFE 223 to test.
    .3 is pretty darn good. I suppose my shooting skills are down. I have shot very little in the past 4 years.