Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 acp pet load

GunLoad Trainee

Question 45 acp pet load

OK
    I'm getting back into reloading after more years away than I care to count. I am trying to start loading 45 acp so I can practice with my 1911 and a new H K usp compact. I loaded a few rounds with 5.5 grs of Unique under a 230g lrn. The 1911 shot them fine but they were all over the target. The H K puked mostly not cycling the shells. I know the 45 acp is a hard one to handload but there has to be a good combination for a 230g lrn. Anyone got any shure fire recipies for this caliber?

I've got to ask If you are positive the load was 5.5gr, if the cartridges would chamber freely in the HK, and how the 1911 would shoot other ammos.

If the 1911 is usually accurate, you would have to shoot undersized bullet to make it spray that much.
    If the HK is new, it might have a stiff recoil spring.

i shoot closer to 6 gr unique
    and size to 452 or 453 if the 53's will chamber.
    that is with my acww boolit some 1911's like a harder boolit though

GunLoad Trainee

I'm pretty sure it was 5.5g I only loaded 16 rounds and measured about 30% of them after setting up the measure. The HK is like new and only had about 30 rounds through it. So I'm sure it's tighter than the 1911. Dad and I always used an old lyman die for 38 - 357 and fired them in a chief's special and a mod 27. I never heard of him measuring the chambers or barrels to compare to the sized bullet. I guess this may be where I need to start, I just bought a mould for the 45 so I could load some plinking loads.

R.I.P

Default target load

standard target load for 1911 is 200 gr LSWC with 3.5 gr bullseye or 700X.will work my 3 1911s.the HK I dont know.

GunLoad Trainee

Default second try

OK
    I loaded a few rounds with bullseye 5 gr. under a rnww cast boolit. The mould says they should weigh in at 230 gr but mine are a little lighter even with the lube. I don't think I did a good fl resize on the few for the second round trial they shot in the hk but the headspace was not right. and the 1911 did have better accuracy. I think I will go down in power a half grain and try to watch the headspace better this time. Should hook up good.

check and sort your cases by length you will find one that each gun likes

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks
    DUH I have not thought of that one yet
    gotta get a good set of calipers

GunLoad Trainee

H & G # 68 @200 gr w/7 gr Unique shoots well in every 1911 I have tried. 950 fps and accurate.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by uncle joe View Post
    Thanks
    DUH I have not thought of that one yet
    gotta get a good set of calipers

GunLoad Trainee

Check to make sure you are NOT crimping the cases too heavily. Most 45acp dies wont do this but if you are "pinching" the case mouth too hard into the bullet, there will be headspace problems. The 45 acp headspace occurs completely on the case mouth. You have to leave a rim or step to stop the casemouth on the chamber where the bullet would enter the throat of the barrel. Any variation here will result in erratic accuracy.