Thread: RCBS Summit

Default RCBS Summit

I spoke for a Summit press from Cabela that is 80.00 off. I think that they are not selling well but what the heck. I will let everyone know how it works.

Not being a smatazz, but why?
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

If I am going to be in New England this coming summer and I want to reload to hunt my ex's ass, why carry a bigger press. LOL Wouldn't go near her, I might get shot. Truthfully. I actually wanted an old H press but they are too heavy for an old man to carry. I want something to sit on top of the bench at the range.

Looks like a good design. Reading the reviews on the Midway site I was impressed. Though I love RCBS presses (there is a RC and a turret on my bench) their weak point has always been that they can and do spit spent primers all over the place. It looks like they've solved it this time. There was mention that the spent primer catcher doesn't have a very large capacity but was easily remedied with a small soda bottle. Good on them for the standard size threads and for making it here in the USA. From what I read, if you need more leverage you use a long handle but the shorter one is easier for most chores. Interesting. The design looks to provide plenty of leverage even for radical reforming operations. The only negative I read was that one guy had problems using Lee crimpers, but I suspect that he did not know how to set them up correctly and he would likely have a similar problem with Lee collet neck sizers too. When you get a chance to put it through its paces I'm curious if this is a real issue or just one lone idiot in Clueless Land. Not that I need another press, but it would be nice to answer that before I start recommending it.

My portable unit is a little Lee Reloader on a Midway stand, and it really doesn't have the gumption for FL sizing rifle cases, never mind reforming or bullet sizing, and it has way too much play for in it for anything seriously accurate. I use it exclusively for priming now but I used to bring sized & primed cases to the range during testing and I really liked the convenience of it though the runout was less and the numbers were better when I loaded at home on the better presses. The new RCBS looks like it would have made it a much more pleasant experience without the tradeoffs.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

The summit press just arrived. Heavy sucker. Family coming over in a few minutes so no time to take it out of the box. As an aside, I got the Christmas tree down, Pam got it up and the grand kids are going to decorate tonight. Perhaps while the kids are decorating I can get a few minutes to get it out of the box.

So..... what do you think of it?
    "Stand your ground.

How is everything above the notch. Wish I was there.

I have not had the time to set up but it looks good. Tried tried to resize a 308 on it and it does need to be bolted down. I am impressed with it but do not know when I will have the time to set it up. Traveling is a hinderance to doing much right now. Supposedly after Christmas and New Years I should have 3-4 days off in a row.

Things are quiet above the notch. We have just over a foot of snow, but it's pretty much a solid foot as a grown man can walk on it without sinking in. Finally looks like it's going to stay below freezing. The skis are waxed, the dog's harness is ready to go, the soup pot's on the stove, and there's two loaves of Irish soda bread in the oven. I have pretty much caught up on my loading, at least until we get in a couple of good casting days. Then I'll be behind again by however many hundreds we end up with after all the lubing and sizing is done. A lot more happening here online than outside, almost a dozen spammer attacks on the forum this weekend, more than the last two months combined. I hope Fryboy is back online soon, I miss his constant vigilance.
    "Stand your ground.