Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Job

Beautiful Downtown South Carolina Where the Frenchies all hang out

mmmm apple piehic
    Camper at RLB Fest 2006,2007,2008,2009,2010 and 2012
    Hosted 2011 in New Hampsha ya I did
    Proud owner of a 264RLB #4

I love cider, but I have a hard time getting it without pasteurizing and added preservatives, but here's how to get a lot more bang for your buck. Add 25lbs of sugar to 5-7gal cider and champagne yeast. When that has fermented out to 15-18% you leave a plastic jug of it outside when it drops below zero. Cheesecloth. You get 1-1.5 quarts of pale yellow applejack from a gallon of very hard cider. I figure it's 80-100 proof, the colder the more concentrated. -20F works really well. You do the math. Easier than distilling. All the nasty solid stuff that settles out of the cider is frozen into the ice crystals and stays in the jug when you pour the jack out of it through the cheesecloth. You cannot taste the alcohol in it when it is served really cold, it's like you're drinking apple juice until you realize how much of it you've had. Hope you're with good friends.

Shine is great if the right persons are making the mash and running the still. It is not the easiest process to master even for a trained chemist. We have some talented folks up here, some not so.

Anybody that can run a blender and cook a pot of oatmeal can make good beer or wine with a little practice. Wine is seasonal and you make it in larger batches, beer you make in big or small batches of one to five gallons every week or two as you'll need it.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Well, it is time. I spent 2 days in Edinburg for orientation, have 1 more day Monday, orient on the floor Tuesday night and on my own Wednesday. It will feel good to get back to work. What am I going to do come the end of June.
    Edinburg is 30 miles from Brownsville and 10 miles from McAllen, TX. The locals tell me the horror stories are just that, fairy tales. Hope it is so. I do carry in the truck and room which is legal in TX now. I have spoken to a CCL instructor and will be taking the course soon. He is expensive but it is a 2 day course with 1 full easy day on the range. Take care and will me back on line soon.