Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder suggestions for new AR?

Default Powder suggestions for new AR?

My shooting buddy came home with a new toy last week. It's a S&W AR with I believe a 1:12 twist. To me that says start with 55gr bullets. I have thousands in the stash so that's not an issue, assuming the rifle likes one of them. 90% of the .223's I have loaded in the past have been for Contenders and bolt actions and I've always been satisfied with 4198 and have a few pounds in the cabinet, but as I've never really been a big AR fan I figured I'd ask for some opinions on what you've found works best in other AR's with 55gr bullets. From the powder list in Sierra's .223 AR loads I also have on hand RE7, 3031, H335, 4895, Varget, and 4064.

He'll be using the rifle mostly for target shooting but he has a working farm so it will always be kept ready to deal with the usual varmints, nothing standard cup&core Sierra's can't handle, and the longest possible range is maybe 250yds. I'm going to have him order a few other different bullets, too, just to give the rifle a chance to voice its opinion and a few suggestions on those won't hurt either, but mostly I am interested in other powders that work well within the AR's operating envelope as I am a bit lacking in experience loading for them.

What has worked well for others so I can decide on my order of testing and which other powders should I start trying to locate that should go on the list?
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

OK, I have 300 cases all prepped and ready to load after we do some starting level tests with two different bullets on Monday. I wonder if the rifle has MOA potential. The several flavors of mil and factory stuff he tried last week in it were all around 2MOA @ 100yds. I don't think I have ever seen such dirty fired cases come out of a semiauto in my life. Are they all like this? No wonder Ruger went to the op-rod in theirs. He'll be cleaning cases before I process them I'm thinking.
    "Stand your ground.

NRA Distinguished Life Kirbydoc's Avatar

Versifier,
    I have a few loaded up with CFE223 and some with IMR 3031 but I don't know enough to give you any info. The ones with RX7 I shot had a minimum load of 20.0 gr. and somehow didn't get crimped. (Yeah I know! Leave me be man). They were OK on the short range but I didn't try them at 100 yds and I will crimp the rest before I try so not much help. They are economical though! I intend to try Varget and 3031 but haven't gotten there yet. Life is almost as busy as RobDW and Greg's! (Not quite though. I do not envy Greg spending 20 hours a week on trains and Rob hasn't pulled a lever in years and hardly ever shoots. They both have all their reloading stuff put in boxes till life settles down).

P.S. My older Lyman book says:
    "Inasmuch as bolt action, target type rifles are not available for this cartridge, test accuracy was somewhat limited".
    They listed the most accurate load for 55 gr. jacketed as almost MAX (for those old powders) of 21.5 gr. IMR 4198 at 2976 fps
    My newer book says 25.0 gr. of Varget at: (Are you ready for this?) 2977 fps!
    I find it VERY interesting that those two accurate loads are within 1 fps of each other!
    Last edited by Kirbydoc; 11-15-2014 at 08:10 PM.

I don't plan on crimping unless I see any evidence of telescoping during feeding. Plinking ammo that I have loaded in the past for other AR's never gave me any problems, but that may not necessarily hold true for this one. It is the first one I will be doing serious load development for, so I will be paying careful attention.

The only time I usually crimp automatically are with cast rifle loads and revolver loads, and jacketed hunting loads for leverguns. My M1A loads did need to be crimped, too. (And I'm glad I got rid of it, I figure why own a rifle that requires FL sizing every time?) When I finish working up any load though regardless of what it's for I will crimp some and shoot some groups for comparison with the uncrimped rounds to see if it makes any difference. Sometimes with my Contenders it really does, just often enough so I always check. If I see any problems with telescoping during feeding (and I will have a dial caliper to with me to check) when we shoot the first test loads, then I will have him order a FC or a TC die as I hate roll crimps with a passion.
    "Stand your ground.

H-335 and VARGET is what I've been playing with. The h335 has been 55 gr fmj for my Stag 8L and VARGET is being used to develop an accurate load for the Stag 6L. I'm still testing for that 1/2 moa load.

BB
    Last edited by BBerguson; 11-16-2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Checked my notes and had the powder wrong

Thanks, I have enough of both to try some tests, pounds of H335surp. Do you crimp your AR loads BB?
    "Stand your ground.

I would crimp them for an AR.
    -----
    NRA Endowment Life Member

NRA Distinguished Life Kirbydoc's Avatar

I had one bullet disappear down in the case others moved too much so yeah, I Crimp.

That would have been interesting to let that round fly... Might need new shorts.
    -----
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by versifier View Post
    Thanks, I have enough of both to try some tests, pounds of H335surp. Do you crimp your AR loads BB?
    Yes I do, with a Lee factory crimp die. I love the way that die works! Thinking of getting some for other calibers.

BB