Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Good Day

Default A Good Day

Got to the range today and my buddy is trying out an ancient Mossberg .22 bolt, family gun. Raw cold rainy nasty New England late fall day, 45-50*F. Indoor shooting house, we open the firing window next to the woodstove. The rifle was erratic. Some light strikes, some no strikes, some go off fine. Worked last summer when it was hot. Stripped the bolt, 50+ yr old grease just about solid around the firing pin. That took a lot of scrubbing, pick and shovel work, dredging, but we got it degreased and then relubed and reassembled. Works like a charm now, but we spent the last of the good shooting light working on it. Too late to sight in the new scope he bought for it. It rained buckets outside anyway and neither of us felt like going out and setting up targets. You couldn't see the 100yd mark in the worst of it and it was windy up above the notches. It was nice, two grumpy old friends cleaning the grumpy old rifle by the woodstove, didn't drop a small part, or a big one, figuring how to take it apart and put it back together. Next week we'll zero the scope and shoot my .308 some more, and maybe the Contender too. It was a good day at the range.

When the rain is over in a few days and has knocked the last stubborn leaves down we ought to be able to shoot us a partridge or two before deer season rolls around. The dog would like that.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

I like my forest naked too!
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

Moral of the story - shooting while naked

Do not shoot a left handed, semi auto shotgun, from the hip, while holding it right handed, during heavy wind with no clothes on.
    -----
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Hellrazor how come you did not come to the shoot out at my place? Dantobin did and he is a knowledgable and interesting person and shooter. I am glad that I met him.

j1,

That weekend was bad timing because of work. I have a few weeks a year that getting away is not possible. Anytime near the start and end of the school year is bad.

I haven't been to the cabin since April either... blah.
    -----

Do you usually shoot at the cabin?

Not in a few years. I helped the neighbor build a 50 & 100 yard private range about 15 years ago but be passed away about 8 years ago.

I am going to the cabin for 3 days starting 10/31. I have about 6 days of work to squeeze into a 3 day weekend. I have to post almost 600 acres for the one neighbor, clean all of the pine needles off the cabin roof, winterize everything, clean up the yard (mow, leaves & sticks) and stock the porch with firewood.

There are 3 dead maple trees I want to cut down. They are crap for firewood but they are all within range of the lane into the cabin. Not sure what type of maple they are, but they died standing and deteriorate quickly into useless crap within 2-3 years.

If I have time I have almost 1.5 cords of cherry firewood to split. Otherwise I am going to secure the cover I have on the wood for the winter and call it a day. We split over a cord of cherry last year. When they widened the power line right of way they had to cut down all of the black cherry tree's that lined the area. I still have about 1/2 - 3/4 a cord to cut and bring into the cabin in spring.
    -----

Hellrazor I heated my old farm house with maple for many years. I saw nothing wrong withitfor firewood. Why do you say that it is not good. Now willow is another matter. I would not want willow if offered to me cut split and stacked on my porch.

j1, I am not sure what type of maple they are but it is crappy. They are dead for 1-1.5 years and they had 1-2" of punk already. I have burned other maple that was decent firewood.
    -----

Beautiful Downtown South Carolina Where the Frenchies all hang out

My Dad used to call it swamp maple
    Camper at RLB Fest 2006,2007,2008,2009,2010 and 2012
    Hosted 2011 in New Hampsha ya I did
    Proud owner of a 264RLB #4