Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 NEF Handi-Rifle lmild recoil deer load needed ASAP!

Question 45-70 NEF Handi-Rifle lmild recoil deer load needed ASAP!

I need to come up with a low recoil "deer load" for a NEF 45-70 pretty quick for my daughter's 1st hunt.
    Expected max distance of the shot is ~75 yards with a scope.

What has worked in a NEF for you?
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

Try the trapdoor loads first. They are the lowest level published loads. Even light loads with 300-500gr bullets aren't going to be easy on the shoulder in such a light rifle. But remember, with cast bullets you can reduce 3031, RL7, 4895, 4064, Varget loads below the START loads safely. I would start with a cast 300gr if you can find some, or 400's if you can't, and some 3031.

Lee has 340gr (457-340F) and 405gr (457-405F) 2cav PBFN moulds. If you want, send me either mould and .457 Lee push-through sizer and I'll cast up a lifetime supply out of WW's for you. Slug the barrel so we know if we need to open up the sizer a couple or three thou. (BTW, I haven't forgotten those .58 Minnies I promised you, just haven't done a run of pure lead yet.) My Email is still down, message or call me if interested, or just have them shipped and I'll get the hint.

As per the Midway catalog, Sutter's Choice, Meister, Hunter's Supply, Montana Precision Swaging, and Cast Performance all make 300 cast, but it would be cheaper for you to buy the mould and sizer kit. I can't find anything available lighter than 300's.

It sucks that The Bull Shop is closed, IIRC he had some light custom .45 moulds that would have done the trick. Maybe if BullShopJr sees this post he may have some suggestions.

No sense in loading anything with a jacket (or even a GC) on it for the .45-70, even if there were some light jacketed bullets available, but I haven't been able to locate any.

It would be nice if one could simply load those 200-230gr .451-.452 handgun bullets as light .458 rifle bullets are not easy to come by.
    Last edited by versifier; 08-13-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Did you get my e mail?

Thanks guys!
    I picked up 50 292GRFPPB (AKA 457191) at Riley's today. That will get me going
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

Good luck working up a load. 45-70 is one of my favorite calibers and it should work great for you daughter.

As per Sierra: Trapdoor Level, 300gr JHP data: IMR3031 START 38.4gr (1400fps) MAX 43.5gr (1600fps)

General thoughts.... A 300gr .45 bullet at 1000fps through the boiler room within 100yds will drop a moose in its tracks. I think I'd reduce the Start load to 29 or 30gr and chrono it. I would want enough velocity so she would hit the pieplate from 25-100yds with a 75yd zero without worrying about bullet drop, but with the load reduced enough to minimize recoil. (Past makes recoil shields for women to wear under clothes on bra strap, two of my daughters, several nieces, and some female friends use them at the range and in the field.) You could increase the charge as she gets used to the rifle too, if the accuracy node required a warmer load, but practice loads to get her used to the rifle should be minimum loads anyway as the powder is over $30/lb. retail and you'll go through a lot of it in those big cases. As a cast bullet target cartridge shooter the lightweight Handi-Rifle is stout enough for more than just trapdoor loads, but the recoil gets fierce in them. I think the .45-70 Handi I shot last fall was manageable recoil-wise with trapdoor loads and a heavy hunting coat, but with my light frame it was not fun and I wouldn't want to do much at the bench with it. I did not have the chance to do any loading for it, but I am convinced reduced loads would have made it a lot of fun because I was shooting 5 shots into 5" offhand @100 with it, so I know with a better shooter it could be impressive. The downside is this one is starting to loosen up after maybe 200-300 rounds. Light loads would help out there, too.

I think I would enjoy a Ruger #1 in .45-70 and peep sights for shooting cast bullets at gongs out to 200yds.

You know they make/made .45-70 barrels for the Encore and Contender, too. I would consider an Encore barrel (one of the older ones made in NH) or an aftermarket like an MGM for the larger frame. But holymotherofgod don't even think about the sooo light Contender with a .45-70 carbine barrel unless you shoot a round ball bunnyfart load. Even with a Past magnum shield and a slip-on boot recoil pad on the butt stock I wanted to stop after two light 300gr loads. Needless to say I did not buy that barrel.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Beautiful Downtown South Carolina Where the Frenchies all hang out

I have a H&R Buffalo Classic
    After 5 rounds I would put it away
    I was using 500 gr cast and smokeless powder
    IIRC it was imr 3031 and 4895
    Don't remember how many grains
    The loads were for the marlin lever rifle
    I tried some pyrdex but didn't have a chance to work up a load
    The couple of pyrodex rounds were 70 grains by volume and felt mild
    I want to get some ready for this Clayt
    Real Black Powder for it (someday when I can find some time to play)
    Camper at RLB Fest 2006,2007,2008,2009,2010 and 2012
    Hosted 2011 in New Hampsha ya I did
    Proud owner of a 264RLB #4

What about 2400 loads?

Skykid, funny you mention BP. I was thinking about that today.
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

How is the load development going or did you get her a 7-08? LOL

I loaded up 5 of the 292s with 25 gr XMP5744 powder (yeah I never heard of it before, but somehow I had some) Think of it as pre-Trail Boss, yeah it's bulky.
    Anyway, while digging up a scope I found a mercury recoil reducer that fits perfect in the stock. I fired 2 of the loads and they are very mild. I have to properly mount the scope and get her shooting.

this will be a REAL challenge as she flinches badly just dry firing the rifle. No I'm not kidding!
    ~Clayt

hunter at large