Thread: Good loads for the .357 snubby

NRA Distinguished Life Kirbydoc's Avatar

Default Good loads for the .357 snubby

What is your experience with powders in .357 snubbies that burn up pretty good in the short barrel?
    Name:  Snubby.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  7.3 KB
    Oh yeah with the powder supplies like they are, give me CHOICES.

As you didn't mention what the loads will be intended for or the weight and style bullets you have in mind, I'll give you a general answer based on almost 40 years of shooting the .357mag in everything from snubbies to rifles. For light cast RN/WC target loads, BEYE. For cast & jacketed medium target/small game loads from 100-160gr bullets, UNQ. For self defense and medium/large game hunting loads with 158-180gr cast SWGC or jacketed bullets, 2400. 2"-8" barrel length really doesn't make much difference (except for the velocity), the same powders are going to work best (depending of course on the specific firearm's individual preferences for bullets and powders). Ball powders tend to shoot more flame in low light, and the shorter the barrel, the longer and brighter the flash, that's why I suggest the three Alliant flake powders. They may not be the most accurate in a specific revolver, but you can generally find workable, usable loads. I doubt you're going to be shooting a snubbie in bullseye matches anyway.....
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Thanks Versifier, I Haven't found any 2400 in a good while.
    110 gr. XTP, 158 gr flat nose lead and 158 gr. Berry's I think those are Truncated Cone not sure.
    Unique went boom pretty good, Bullseye was OK but Titegroup was better for the lighter loads.

OK, the Berry's are 125gr. lswc not 158's

GunLoad Trainee

Remember the Berry's have to be below 1200 fps. My Ruger SP-101 has a 2 1/4 in bbl and averaged 1090 fps with 14.9 gr of 2400 and a 125 gr XTP. My 158 gr and 12.5 of 2400 averaged 1015 fps. In my case velocity and groups were better with the 125 gr XTP. With a longer barrel your speeds could be too fast for Berry and make "Berry Juice".

I did happen to take a 6-point buck that sneaked up on me while I was napping in my tree stand. He was 20 yards and my rifle was hanging and yes I was wearing a safety harness.

I have called every little store, medium store and big store within 60 miles. NO 2400!! That stinks like the Horned Owl casting after he ate the skunk!!

Then UNQ should do for 99% of your shooting and be a lot more pleasant. A couple hundred fps difference between hot UNQ loads and 2400 loads within handgun range makes little difference with a properly placed shot. If you have any accuracy issues with plated bullets or with cast versus what you know a revolver can do with jacketed, make sure the cylinder throats are of greater diameter than the forcing cone.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

OK, a little info: The heavier Unique loads with the 158's even hurt my shoulder so I'm not really interested in "Faster Badder 2400". In the light loads with the 110 xtp's Titegroup seems to work good. Pretty accurate. Bullseye OK but not as good as Titegroup and Unique really worked good about 9.0 grains.