Thread: Which Supper Bullet

GunLoad Trainee DeanoBeanCounter's Avatar

Cool Which Supper Bullet

I'm going to harvest me a buffalo come November. I've bought myself a 300 Winchester Magnum model 200 for the job made by Steven's. These are Antelope Island of Utah breed which is a small size.
    Now which bullet and load would be good if not best to use. It'll be about a 100 yard shot. I'm keeping the hide and the meat. I hope my freezer is big enough to hold it all.
    So does anyone have any suggestions?
    Deano

P.S. Here's the web sight and other info of where I'm going:
    http://www.buffalobullhunt.com/
    http://old.outdoorsman.com/lbbr.html

Nosler 180 or 200gr Partitions, Speer 180 or 200 TBBC's, Barnes 180 or 200gr TSX's. Any of them will do the job, and at 100yds, even 6" groups will let you put one in the boiler room. The question really is which one will your rifle prefer? You might start with IMR 4831 and 7828 for the 180's, or RE22 and H1000 for the 200's.

I highly recommend Past Magnum Recoil Shields for bench work, load development, and practice. I might even consider wearing it under my hunting coat, but it is well known that I do not enjoy heavy recoil, & don't need another round of back surgery.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

I shot a moose with a 308 165 gr barnes X at 75 yards running angling away. The bullet lost one petal on the spine and went 54" through the moose. I would try that for big critters. They usually group a couple of inches right or left than other bullets because of their increased length. Gianni
    Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by versifier View Post
    Nosler 180 or 200gr Partitions, Speer 180 or 200 TBBC's, Barnes 180 or 200gr TSX's. Any of them will do the job, and at 100yds, even 6" groups will let you put one in the boiler room. The question really is which one will your rifle prefer? You might start with IMR 4831 and 7828 for the 180's, or RE22 and H1000 for the 200's.

I highly recommend Past Magnum Recoil Shields for bench work, load development, and practice. I might even consider wearing it under my hunting coat, but it is well known that I do not enjoy heavy recoil, & don't need another round of back surgery.

i amwith you on the recoil
    when i was young and full piss and vinger i wanted me a 300 wetherby
    but when i got older and wiser (ha)i came to the conclusion you carry em more
    than you shoot em so i got me a 7-08 for deer or my favoraet t he greats cal ever made the 270 winchesterif i hit game with the 270 and it dont fall down
    iwalk around behind to see whats holding it up

tom

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by DeanoBeanCounter View Post
    I'm going to harvest me a buffalo come November. I've bought myself a 300 Winchester Magnum model 200 for the job made by Steven's. These are Antelope Island of Utah breed which is a small size.
    Now which bullet and load would be good if not best to use. It'll be about a 100 yard shot. I'm keeping the hide and the meat. I hope my freezer is big enough to hold it all.
    So does anyone have any suggestions?
    Deano
    Damn, you sure you wanna call that hunting? That's an awful lot like hunting cows in a feedlot.

Greetings Travis Now if you read carefully Deano Beancounter did say Harvest... not hunt.

GunLoad Trainee

I've been on that island a few times and you sure wont have any problems finding one. And while they didn't look as big as the ones in Yellowstone, we got near a few that sure didn't look real small. They seem to grow as they get closer and start to fidget. You'll be tripping over antelope too.
    And any of the ones named by versifier should work fine.

I prefer Nosler Partitions.

270 130 grain.