Thread: Turkeys are strutting

Default Turkeys are strutting

Driving home the other evening I saw a flock of about 50 turkey north of the house, and noticed that 8 ot 10 of them were gobblers showing off for the girls. Our spring season opens in a couple weeks and I still have all 4 of my tags since I didn't use any of them in the fall. We can use either rifle or shotgun. I usually choose rifle in the fall, and shotgun for the spring. I'm ready for some chicken fried turkey breast with cream gravy. Dale

You can use last year's tags? Our hunting licenses run from January first to December 31st. We can take a tom in the spring with shotgun and either in the fall with a bow, but there aren't a lot in this end of the state. They aren't too bright, but there aren't many turkey hunters around here with a clue, either (including me).
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Our license runs from August 31 through a year, have to get a new one just in time for dove season around Labor Day. Dale

The turkeys were flying today. I had to brake hard to avoid catching one in the windshield coming home. I saw them launching from behind the fence on the left, the older birds went up and over, but some of the younger ones cut across . My wife had one go through the windshield a couple years ago. Up the road a ways a flock of Canadas cross low in front of me to land in a wheat field. DALE

My daughter keeps chanting "Roadkill! Roadkill!" everytime we encounter a flock crossing the road - her mom hit one two years ago and it was good eating. I am not known for my shotgunning prowess - she's even with me on partridges, too. I think it has something to do with her left-handed swerve technique behind the wheel.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775