Thread: Recipes

Default Recipes

I like as many other casters ,to blend my lead ,flux it & pour it into ingots for use further down the track ! Most of my lead comes compliments of the local range & I mix in WW & linotype when I can get it ! How about you blokes any special recipes ?

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

A bit of ranting here

Mention of wheelweights immediately brings stomach pains to me.
    It has become close to impossible to get them here in the big city. You can't even get a polite response from the tire shop managers anymore.

I won't blame them too much as metal recycling is at a peak and they must have twenty bums asking them the same question every day. The same bums who are getting bolder and bolder at stealing from private and public yards.

The local police has declared that most recycling yards weren't too regarding as to
    the source of the metals they bought; it's not uncommon to find public property like cables, wires, sportsfields equipment like goal cages... they even found a kids grave plaque...

So I mostly use range lead, which is cleaner to work with

Seems to be the same thing over here as far as WW's go the source has really dried up of late ! I must admit to having a likeing for range lead as your half way to getting a deciant blend ! Our Scrap yards our very heavily regulated on buying from the public !

Dave

Well it is different here. I get FREE WW from Canadian TIre. Every two weeks I get about 50lbs. I can buy them for anywhere from $15 - $30 per hundred lbs. from a couple of local tire shops. Darn thing is guys up here mold fishing weights out of them hence there is a demand of sorts for them. I may have to break down and buy some of them to build up my supply. Either that or try to smooth talk a couple of owners of the tire shops to see if I can get the price down.

I just use the WW for bullets in all my pistols and the two rifles I load for. I use gas checks on my 30-06 and 30-30 bullets and have had no leading. I also water quench my bullets as well to harden them up some.

Come spring I'll pick up range lead. The only good thing about snow is bullets don't go very far and by spring they are all over the ground - just go to pick them up.

Take Care

Bob

We get our wheel wheight from the tire shops in Fairbanks. We get about 2 buckets a month at the one, and 10 buckets every 6 months at the other one. We buy about a ton of lead a month at the junk yard. We had to start getting it at the junk yard to stock pile it. The last time we got a bucket of 185gn swaged hp at the junk yard that some one had droped off there, and I use them in the 45 acp enfield rifle that dad has. They are soft and smoosh up real good.
    DANIEL/BS JR.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

Bloody Fishermen ! That's the problem I have with getting WWs down in Port Augusta ! You'd think the cheap so & sos would just go out & buy their sinkers pre cast ?

My funniest experiance at recovering range Lead ,was A chap came up to the range & threaterned to report me to the owner of the Property if I did'nt leave ! He was a new member & did'nt realise who I was ! I told him to go right ahead ! He returned some time latter with my Brother (who actualy owns our property ....the local Club leases the range from us ) My brothers responce ? ..........Mate consider your self lucky ! .....My Big brother (Me ) is not known for having the milk of human kindness flow through his veins ! Normally he would of beaten the daylights out of you & then had you prosicuted for trespass !

Dave

I am lucky enough to have several connections for w-w in my area. I manage to get at least a hundred pounds a month but usually more.
    I will blend in a handful of thos pure lead stick on w- w with regular ones and still get a 19.3 Brinnell with water quenching.

Default d-o-k

Dave I would have paid money to see the expression on that guys face. Kind of reminds me of that scene in the first Dundee picture when the little fellow says "I don't need a gun I got " and the guy turns around to see the huge friend the little guy brought along.

I am surprised the new fellow didn't offer to buy beers all away around.

Take Care

Bob

I have two reasonably good sources of free WW's and an intermittant one for lino. Lead chimney flashing scraps and defunct lead plumbing find their way to me also. Fishing weights with lead in them are banned in this state, but many WW sources are drying up or are "under arrangement" by folks from out of town. I use lino and pure/lino combinations for some ACP boolits and some rifle & Contender target boolits, pure lead for anything I shoot from a M/L, and ACWW with a small lump of 50/50 solder thrown in to help fillout for everything else (about 80%). I have been trying to stockpile WW's, but it's a slow process as I use so much of them. Guys at my club are talking about mining forty year's worth of range lead, and if they want to dig and haul, there are two of us with smelting setups that can process it, then I have a good supply of lino to harden it up with. I only provide cast boolits for one person now, as he is always bringing me a lot of metal and the odd mould or two, old casting pots and other goodies that he picks up wheeling and dealing - he gets whatever he needs/wants. Several members of the club shoot commercial cast in their handguns, but only the three of us use them in rifles/hand cannons. I load for a lot of hunters and target shooters, but I will only stuff their cases with jacketed bullets.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775