Thread: Books on casting

GunLoad Trainee

Default Books on casting

What are some of the books I need to get to get up to speed on casting?
    I was offered a set up and bought it because I think it would be fun to do my own bullet casting. I have no expierence at all in doing this, but until four years ago I had never loaded any ammo and now I load all my ammo. The set up consist of the following items and if I need anything else I will be asking for help.
    1. 10# electric furnace with thermostat, bottom pour valvesystem with mould guideand ingot mould and dipper Lymon brand.
    2. Lymon # 450 bullet sizer -lubricator and 11 2 cavity moulds and 8 single cavity moulds in th fowling cal 357,44,45,30,25,22,50,and a round ball mould. The deal also has sizing dies and top punches for all moulds, two Lymon single cavity handles and two double cavity handles, also several thousand gas cks for 22,25,30,38,41,and 44 cal. A lot of Alox,RCBS, Lymon, bullet lube and GAR casting flux. I also get close to 500# of bullet lead in 1# ingots. I got all of this for $450 and will need your expertiese in getting to know how to use the equipment.
    Thank you for your help in advance, any sugested books will be apriciated.
    Freightman

Lee's Modern Reloading, Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook (loads are outdated but info is still good), NRA's Bullet Casting & Supplement (out of print but you can sometimes find a copy), and you get an excellent book for the cost of joining the CBA. But the best source around is going back and reading the old threads on Cast Boolits. The Search can help you research specific topics.
    Last edited by versifier; 10-10-2006 at 01:04 PM.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Get a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. Very good read with lots of good loads. Worth having at hand by your bench.

Take Care Eh

Bob

Brasilian Reloader

Get a copy of Magma casting book. Very nice read with lots of good informations. Worth having at hand by your bench.

www.magmaengr.com

Be safe
    Marcello

Along with the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook there are a few chapters in The ABCs of Reloading on casting that are good.
    From my cold dead hands.
    If it ain't a Colt it is a copy.

GunLoad Trainee

If you can find it RCBS put out the Cast Bullet manual. I think it is a great companion manul to the Lyman Cast Bullet Manul. I have number one and have never seen a later version. A search on Amazon turned up a few recently but the asking price was ridiculous ($195).
    Of all the things I have ever lost, I really miss my mind the most

lyman has put out several good cast boolits books rcbs had one (out of print nowbut you may findone onthe web)
    FRIGHT MAN WAS YOU THE ONE THAT BEAT ME ON THIS DEAL ON EBAY
    A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE