Thread: 350gr 45-70

GunLoad Trainee

Default 350gr 45-70

anybody have any experience with a 350 gr fpbb in 45-70 I amlooking for a load using 3031 ,at around 1500 thanks Doug
    a armed man is his own master

I'd start at 37gr 3031 and work up to 40gr. I'd also ask next door on CB - many more there with much more experience with the cartridge and cast than I have. What are you shooting it out of? This load range is for a Trapdoor. Stronger actions could likely handle stiffer loads, but the question is: what does your rifle like best? 4198 is another good powder to try.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

versifier,I am shooting it out of a modified NEF Handirifle.I have a very bad right shoulder and have added 3# 's of lead to the but .It weights in at 11.13pounds.I do not intend to use it as a walk around rifle thanks for the info

In that case, we can use the Richard Lee formula for reducing loads.
    In my Sierra manual, the load range for 3031 in .45-70 is 38.4 - 49.2. Take the difference and subtract it from the base figure. 49.2-38.4=10.8; 38.4-10.8=27.6.
    so, 27.6gr of 3031 should be a safe starting load. In your situation, accuracy is more important than velocity, no? I would be looking for the lightest load that groups acceptably in your rifle. I assume that along with the extra weight you have also added a thick recoil pad. I can relate to the problem. A spine injury forced me to put recoil pads on all my hunting rifles, and I use a slip-on boot for milsurps and other peoples' rifles that I test or load for. I've had more than a few strange looks when shooting a .54cal traditional muzzle loader with a pad on it. They laugh until it prints MOA groups @ 100yds. Then they slink back to their vehicles with their modern rifles that barely pie plate. The more comfortable you are, the better you can shoot.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

versifier,I have put on a Limbsaver recoill pad,I went out today and with a starting load of 40 grs 3031 I could stand the recoil ,so now I will keep adjusting load untill I get one that is accurate,I am going to try the reduced load tomorrow thanks Doug