Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cast Boolits for any 45 ACP

Yeah I'm going to load up some dummies tomorrow and see if she'll be able to chamber them then I'm going to slug the barrel and see how over sized it is. If all that works out I'm going to load a few up and see if she'll feed then I'll work up a load. I won't be resizing them mainly because I don't have the cash right now to get a sizing die. I know how bad that sounds but I'm on a tight budget for my hobbies right now and try not to buy more equipment then I have to.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading newbie

Lee push through sizing kits are less than $15 and come with lube.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Yeah I know your right I just can'tget over LLA everything I was taught about how bullet lube works kinda goes against a lube that won't melt.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading newbie

it works on the slower stuff and will get ya goin
    i dont use but if it works and keeps ya shootin, i say go for it.

I use it for everything. Slow wadcutters at 700fps up to hunting bullets at 1700-200 to varmint bullets at 2600+. I haven't found it to be any handicap with faster loads. All of my handgun shooting and 90% of my rifle shooting is all done with cast & LLA - many thousands of rounds a year. Good accuracy, no leading. Lube is important, and certain ones will work best in any given situation (and there are individual barrels that have an attitude, too), but proper fit of bullet to bore and the right alloy are usually much more important.
    "Stand your ground.

Check your OAL.
    I had the same problem with not chambering and lead shearing with the RNFP bullet. The slide would not go to battery. I Thought it was a light load with a heavy recoil spring so I put in a light paper punching spring and increased the charge (multiple trails) A few rounds would chamber and then it would not go to battery again. What I found was the shoulder of the round nose did not taper for the first .125" +/- of the bullet and it was hitting the lands. I have a NEW but very pitted barrel and I used it to test chamber the rounds and sure enough they would not drop in. I shortened the OAL and the first 10 rounds covered an area a little smaller then a base ball. I know that's not impressive but I hit the paper. I duplicated this 3 days later. Now when time permits I'll pull the group a little tighter. (maybe) I'm shooting a 1911A1 on an Essecs from 1975 with a Colt barrel, a Remington slide and a recoil spring stabilizer. GI sights. Yes it's a rag. I had tightened the rails and polished the trigger so it shoots very well. Problem is I was using it to fire some red line hot loads that Guns and Ammo had played with and it hammered it so it's a little loose again. That's for another story. It's been the wife's house gun for 25 years. I finally found some time to start loading and shooting again. I also have a Colt 1911A1 that has a 400 Corbon barrel in it. (YES)
    Specs:
    LEE 452-200RF 200gr RNFP Mold sized to .452 (Lee sizer) WW water quenching
    Alox before and after sizing
    5.2gr Unique
    CCI lg. Pistol primer
    .1106-.1108 OAL
    I actually realized the problem when trying to stick a bullet in the end of the barrel. It did not go to the case.
    Last edited by Rayber; 04-05-2008 at 11:54 PM.

GunLoad Trainee

I have a SF M1911 A1 ...win brass- 230 LRN (.452 ) dia- w231 / 4.6 pld with 870 fps and I have to say
    I get a good pattern..I seat at .265. I use a gage to to ck my ammo and so far everthing is
    working out very good for me. I do cast my own lead with a Lee mold and Lee sizer so far I
    haven't had to the sizer but I ahve one on hand if needed.
    scout/ Bob

GunLoad Trainee

I have not been by this site for a while and dropped in tonight.

I got to looking at the 45 cal Maxi-Balls I was casting from soft lead for my smoke pole and wondered if I could successfully load them in a 45ACP. Cast from WW, sized .451", lubed with whatever lube was in the press, seated to the front driving band over 5.0 gr 231. I anticipated failures to feed but none occured. Accuracy is as good or slightly better than any of my other cast bullet rounds. Regretably, I do not own a chronograph.

Made an interesting project.

I have heard of loading them in .45LC, .45-70, and .458mag, but never in a .45ACP. What did you shoot them in, what powder, and was the recoil like?
    "Stand your ground.

GunLoad Trainee

Shot them out of my Llama Max-1, full size 1911 wannabe. 5 grs 231. CCI primer. Nothing unusual about the recoil or report.

Uses up a stick of bullet lube in a hurry.