Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scary story, or whatever...

GunLoad Trainee

Last time I got tires mounted I took the weights off my tires before I took the old beast in. Kept almost 14 oz.

45-70 Levergun Fanatic Old Ranger's Avatar

Have a similar problem here where I live. The "big city" near me has about 6 tire shops. None of them will give, sell, or trade any WW at all. I was advised that they sell them to a recycle center and that's that. So I just cast with lead and keep my velocity down. What a deal huh?

Wade
    You can never have enough rounds! Keep reloading!

Do you guys know what the price of Lead is , it opened this morning at almost $1.20 a lb. !

GunLoad Trainee

Hi all new to the form. I had my best luck at the smaller tire shops, all the big guy’s said they had contracts with salvage company’s. And could not just sell them. Last spring I scrounged up some 3/8 steel plates and welded up a bullet trap.
    Researching bullet traps, there are some simple solutions; some guys just fill a plywood box with rubber mulch.
    I know in my case, its nice not scrounging lead all over the country.
    On a side note, I had some reclaimed lead I dug out of a pistol range, it had been setting around for a year or so, this spring, I dumped some in the Dutch oven and fired up the turkey cooker.
    I was getting muffin pans and the rest of the stuff together, all of a sudden I hear a load bang. My first thought was water in the pot, I checked the bucket, and the rest of the lead in the bucket was bone dry.
    I started looking around the pot and found a 380 case laying a couple feet from the pot.
    The only conclusion I could come up with, was that someone must have had a miss fire, and threw the case into the backstop.
    And when I screened the berm , the 380 case ended up in with the lead.
    First time in 40 years of casting and melting reclaimed lead, I have had anything like this happen, good lesson about just dumping reclaimed range lead in the pot.

snubnose

Default Zink weights?

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I got a vehicle inspection today that included a tire change. While there I got a 5 gal. bucket that was full to within 2" of the top. It weighed about 135# I estimate. I offered $15. and He said to come back about once every 3-4 weeks.
    Three or four months ago, he wanted $50. for a smaller amount.
    The down side is there are lots more Zinc and Steel weights in the mix.
    My hands are gonna get sore pinching all those small weights, looking to seperate them.
    Zink weights? I didn't know that some weights are all zink. How do you tell them apart?

Quote Originally Posted by snubnose View Post
    Zink weights? I didn't know that some weights are all zink. How do you tell them apart?
    umm there's also steel weights , best way is to try and cut or nick them with either a knife or a pair of side cutters ( dikes, diagonal cutters , what ever you prefer to call them ) lead will cut zinc is much much harder as is steel , with a knife lead will sliver not so with zinc or steel , some guys just run their smelting pot at or below 700 F , the zinc weights floats and is skimmed off , personally i prefer to not take the chance and check every one with side cutters , it's a pain but surely beats getting zinc in my alloy

GunLoad Trainee

My aggregate cost was about 28 bucks for a five gallon bucket full. Now ..... they are no longer available as our State has outlawed them except for trucks!

Three 44s