Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Farthest shot

Two rock chuck in 3 shots at 810 yards with a 6.5-280 with T16 scope. A 4' tall inflateable Easter Bunny at 1650 yards with the same 6.5 and a .50 cal single shot rifle shown in photo.

Larry Gibson

Banned

deleted post
    Last edited by beekeeper; 10-14-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Larry, is your gun bearer taking the photo?
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

GunLoad Trainee

455 yards on a Pronghorn Antelope taken near Raton, NM in 2004. I used a Tikka T3 in .300wsm with a 150 gr Sierra BTSP.

Note there is no muzzle brake on that rifle! It weighed right at 40 lbs and still kicked like a mule! The "gun bearer" is carrying it......it layed very nicely in the back of the Luv.

Larry Gibson

Wise

I'm not one for long range shots at game as I like to get up close and personal with the game I'm after. However, there are times when shooting way out yonder is either necessary or mandatory or both.

On a Mule Deer hunt, my hunting partner wounds a nice buck that was running off and about to disappear into a gully. I took the shot with my Remington 660 in .308 Win. and fortunately dropped the deer. We paced it off at 427 paces. Strictly a luck shot. Good luck for the deer and very good luck for me as I had my winter meat.

One of the areas I hunt elk has very laarge wide open areas we call "parks" Some are as wide as two miles and and ten miles long. Once the first shot is fired on opening day, the elk head on out into the middle of these parks where they can lie down and watch fo danger in all directions. Dong a sneak on them is nearly, if not impossible. About six years ago, I drew that area and I stalked to the very last bit of cover, a small bush. I lasered the cow elk that was the closest to me at 530 yards and no way to get closer. I got into a sitting position and carefully squeezed off the shot. The elk staggered a bit and fell kicking out her last. The rifle? A Winchester M70 in .300 Win. Mag. shooting a very stiffly loaded 200 gr. Speer Hot-core. The three months of serious practice out to 500 meters on my club's silhouette range paid off nicely.

One more, this time with a handgun. A buddy and I were up on the Olympic Penninsula in Washigton state on an elk hunt tha we were invited to do. One of the members of our hunting party was a retired judge who absolutely hated handguns. My buddy and I were both packing S&W .44 magnums as sidearms. His honor kept ragging us about those handguns and me being a bit short fused anyway decided to shut him up if the opportunity arrived. It did. We were resting up in thei meadow and looking down into the canyon you could see the Humptulips River down at the bottom though an opening in the trees and brush. The judge was tarting up again so I said to him, "I'll bet you $100 I can either hit or come close to the log sticking out of the water." His answer was, "A pistol cannot shoot that far." I said, "If that's so, then you'll make an easy $100. Put up or shut up." He asked if I'd take a check and I said sure. He also commented that he really did not want to "steal" my money. Anyway, I took the shot and clipped a branch off the log. I then asked him if he wanted to go double or nothing? He said nothing. Just pulled out his check book after we got back to town and paid me. My buddy Don, after the shot just smiled and asked me if I felt guilty taking his money. I looked at him with a straight face and said, "Nope!"
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

Banned

deleted post
    Last edited by beekeeper; 10-14-2011 at 05:37 PM.

GunLoad Trainee

16x16 steel plate @400 yds with a .45acp. I in 5 shots and my buddy with 4. White tailed deer in the neck @ 525 yds with .300 win mag. Pure luck. Ground hog 452 yds with 22-250rem right through the heart. Dang thing ran 17 yds after I hit him,bleeding all over the place he was about 8 feet past his hole when he stopped.

GunLoad Trainee

16x16 steel plate @400 yds with a .45acp. I in 5 shots and my buddy with 4. White tailed deer in the neck @ 525 yds with .300 win mag. Pure luck. Ground hog 452 yds with 22-250rem right through the heart. Dang thing ran 17 yds after I hit him,bleeding all over the place he was about 8 feet past his hole when he stopped.

GunLoad Trainee

400 yards ground squirell in the ear 22 magnum with a 4 power scope sitting on top of a fence post dead right there my brother bill . us army , took 2 minutes of sighting before he took the shot .... pure luck, or marksman , i go the latter