Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check engine light

Default Check engine light

My check engine light came on today.The truck is a 2010 ford ranger with 43,000 miles on it.I changed the oil last week like I always do at 4000 to 5500 miles.I checked the oil level and its fine but noticed the puke box for anti freeze was about empty and it wasn't like that that week because when I change oil,I CHECK everything.I know the level is differ from hot or cold but never seen it almost empty.It was 14 here this morning but the light didn't come on until I was half way home and the temp gauge is running where it should when very cold out.I checked the gas cap also because I know they will give a person fits on newer stuff time to time.

I can hook it to a computer but don't have a clue what the Ford codes are once it shows me.Any advice would be great and will change the anti freeze this weekend because its about time to do so.I haven't touched this truck since the day I bought it new,other than change the oil and air filter when needed.I hate to work on stuff that's new and don't know anything about them other than regular maintenance/simple stuff.

Does your heater work ok?

Some of the Ford codes:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/

Beautiful Downtown South Carolina Where the Frenchies all hang out

Picklehead
    Check your oil dipstick
    I had a check engine light on the other day(2009 F150)
    So I opened the hood and looked around pulled the oil dipstick out to check level and that's when I noticed it wasn't all the way down(I had checked the oil level a few days ago so I don't think I pushed the stick all the way in when)
    Camper at RLB Fest 2006,2007,2008,2009,2010 and 2012
    Hosted 2011 in New Hampsha ya I did
    Proud owner of a 264RLB #4

Every code can be found with a google search. Just because the light went out for a while doesn't mean the code was gone. Some codes require a complete cycle of operating temp and highway driving conditions to reset or reappear. The code(s) will still be in the CPU memory.

Go to Auto Zone or a place like that and they'll read the codes so you can figure out what to do next.

Loosing antifreeze is NEVER good. It's a closed system and it went "$omewhere".
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

I jumped the gun on the anti freeze.It is fine,the truck wasn't level and had cooled off.I checked everything I know of so far other than putting it on a lift.I unhooked the bat and the light is gone for now but will hook it to the computer Friday.

I had a 1989 Bonneville the Check engine light come on at about 90,000 it stayed on and was still on when I sold it at just shy of 400,000. I am sure that I had changed every other bulb in the entire car in that time but that damn check engine light stayed on strong and bright!
    I finally after about 50,000 put a piece of mend all electrical tape over it so that it wouldn't shine in my eyes while driving at night.

She was a great car…….

Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

We have a work truck that throws the check engine light on when you are plowing 10+" of heavy wet snow. Truck must not like the stress on the motor/tranny or something. They never find a real issue, they reset it or it goes away on its own.

I went through a freekin NIGHTMARE with a '99 Suburban this last spring. I changed every transmission part there was that might even be next to anything associated with the code---and some of those parts twice. I kept clearing the code with my reader and it kept coming back and putting the truck in limp mode, 2nd & 3rd gear only. I finally gave up and let the POS sit in the driveway until the battery drained down really good for a couple of months. When I went out to start it to get ready to sell it (very cheap!), I had to jump it. I decided to drive it around on the acreage behind the house. No CEL. I drove it to the store, no CEL. I drove it again and again, no CEL. I figured that the computer had more thoroughly cleared by sitting there with a dead battery for several months and that just clearing the codes with my reader had been leaving something bad behind in the computer. So I put it up for sale and a guy showed up with cash in hand. He wanted to drive it around the block and I said "sure." He came back two minutes later with the CEL on. He made a ridiculously low offer and I took it. Aaaarrgghhhhhh!!!
    Still an ogre in need of hormone therapy, living under a bridge somewhere in Texas.

Had a similar issue with a ford expidition. A really long story turned really short... It was a bad fuse box. Replaced it and it's been fine ever since.

BB

HellRazor,you might be on to something because I had one helluva load of wood on it Sunday.Its not back on yet and who nows.If it was an older truck/car then I wouldn't even care but it only has 46,375 miles on it.I thought it was about 43,000 and asked the Ford place if the light came on to tell me that I need to change the trans fluid or do a full service and they said NO and bring it in.Yea,i bet I do.They aint getting my money for nothing and will see how it does since I unhooked the bat and got it to go away.If it comes back then I will do something about it.I ran the piss out of it today on the way home and everything seems normal.

I just wonder if running it in 4 high the other morning up to 50 MPH done it.I caught myself in a clear straight stretch running it faster in 4 high than I ever have before.I think the book says no more than 25 in 4 low and 45 in high.